Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rmank
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Remco Mank

Veaam Backup check lock tape library

Post by rmank »

Hi,

We are using a shared tape library which is connected by FC onto a switch and Veeam and Backup Exec are 2 nodes who are access them.
When 1 of the 2 nodes are writting (or reading) to tape the library has been locked. Backup Exec knowns that and wait until the lock of the library has been gone.
With Veeam that isn't the case. Veeam (version 8) placed a lock to the tape library and tries to write but the library is busy with his job from Backup Exec.
So the job fails. Is there a possiblity that Veeam checks if there is a lock on the tape library and waits until the lock has been gone?
I had a support case (00818446) for this but the answer was that this was by design. Why there isn't a problem with Backup Exec?

Last thursday I was on NLVMUG and talked to Veeam engineer and he sa. Put this on the support forum and maybe 1 of the devel engineers is reading this.

Best regards,

Remco
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veaam Backup check lock tape library

Post by veremin »

Does your library support partitioning?
rmank
Novice

Post by rmank »

Yes, our tape library (Overland Neo2000E) support partitioning and I'm using that as well (so BE and Veeam are using there own partition). But the tape library has 1 tape device.
So when 1 job runs on BE or Veeam the library has been locked.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hmm, I've thought that partioning exists to address the very same problem - to share smoothly one physical library between different backup software. So, you can contact your tape device vendor and ask whether or not partioning works as expected.

Otherwise, you might create some scripts that will check whether or not there are some BE jobs running and those scripts as pre-VB&R-job activity.

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

But the tape library has 1 tape device.
You mean one tape drive?
rmank
Novice

Post by rmank »

Yes, in the library is 1 tape drive. But that doesn't change the question because with 2 tape drives BE can use both tape drives.
So than you got the same situation. My question is very clear why doesn't check Veeam V8 if there is a scsi lock at the tape library?
If so queue the tape job until the lock has gone. BE does this procedure and Veeam sets a lock when he starts a tape job. So why doesn't check.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Remco,

Thanks for the clarification. Indeed, there is no waiting timer or additional check for drivers being locked by third party software. The only supported way to set up partitioning with Veeam tape service is to isolate the drive from third party software – so frankly speaking you need to have at least one drive per library partition. I’ve noted your post as a feature request for the next version improvements discussions. Thank you.
rmank
Novice

Post by rmank »

Hi Dimitry,

Thanks and we will wait to the new release to test this.

best regards,
Remco