Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ted

Veeam Backup and Replication 8 and tape support

Post by tedsteenvoorden »

We are currently relying on Backup Exec for tape backup and are evaluating to use the tape integration from Veeam Backup and Replication v8. I have a couple of questions on the tape integration of Veeam Backup and Replication v8:

- Does Veeam v8 support multiple tape libraries?
- Is it possible to do parallel tape backups to multiple tape drives?
- Is it possible to do a verify after a tape backup?
- Does Veeam v8 support Grandfather/Father/Son tape backups?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Backup and Replication 8 and tape support

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ted,
Does Veeam v8 support multiple tape libraries?
Sure, it does.
Is it possible to do parallel tape backups to multiple tape drives?
By setting separate tape jobs and separate media pools you can write simultaneously to multiple tape drive. If you are looking for a multi-streaming (write one file with two drives at once), it is currently not supported
Is it possible to do a verify after a tape backup?
It is possible to run a Sure backup job on a backup file before putting backup on tape, but we have not yet included ‘tape reading’ verification in the product
Does Veeam v8 support Grandfather/Father/Son tape backups?
Yes, by setting up multiple media pools with the different retention.
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by tedsteenvoorden »

Hi Dmitry, thanks for your feedback. You mention 'By setting separate tape jobs and separate media pools you can write simultaneously to multiple tape drive'. We currently have two tape libraries with each library having two tape drives. We also want to implement a Grandfather/Father/Son scheme.

Does this mean that i have to make three media pools for each tape drive (week/month/year)?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Ted,

Yes, since the media pool is attached to the library, so while using two separate libraries you have to create at least two media pools, its by design. I would also recommend creating one additional media pool for each drive and splitting the backup to tape jobs according to the retention – then you will have both drives loaded equally.

As for GFS here is a most common scenario how it could be achieved: Re: Best Practice for Son-Father-Grandfather rotation?
LarsWulf
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Lars Wulf

Post by LarsWulf »

I am also on my way to use Veeam for Tape export instead of BE.
As I learned parallel processing is not possible for tape exports at the moment.
Are there any plans to implement this in near future ?

I don`t need to have a solution that streams one file to multiple drives. It would just be nice to configure one Backup to tape job consisting of all 63 Backup Jobs. And Veeam would automatically start with Job 1 to Drive 1, Job 2 to Drive 2, etc.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Lars,
Are there any plans to implement this in near future ?
I don`t need to have a solution that streams one file to multiple drives. It would just be nice to configure one Backup to tape job consisting of all 63 Backup Jobs.
Perfect use case. It is a high priority feature, so for sure it will be implemented in one of the upcoming major releases. Stay tuned