Veeam Extract Utility

Everything about backing up to tape

Veeam Extract Utility

Veeam Logoby sbbots » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:12 pm

This sounds useful for testing backups from online storage, but for testing tapes (like during quarterly test restores of monthly backups) I still need to install Veeam free edition to extract a VBK from a tape [step 1]. Correct? And at that point I already have Veeam installed so I don't need a stand-alone extractor to copy VMs back to a storage location [step 2].

So my question; Is there or are there plans to create a stand-alone utility to extract VMs from a VBK file on a tape? E.G. I have a LTO-5 drive attached to my workstation and I would like to extract VMs in a one-step process (as opposed to the two-step). Am I just thick in the head or does anyone else think that would be useful?
sbbots
Enthusiast

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Matt B

Re: Veeam Extract Utility

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:07 am

So my question; Is there or are there plans to create a stand-alone utility to extract VMs from a VBK file on a tape? E.G. I have a LTO-5 drive attached to my workstation and I would like to extract VMs in a one-step process (as opposed to the two-step). Am I just thick in the head or does anyone else think that would be useful?

No plans for this kind of tool at the moment. Also, I believe the described scenario can't be achieved with the use of simple commandline utility anyway, since the latter will be supposed to be capable of the following: recognizing connected tape devices, inventorying/cataloging, recreating tape catalog, restoring to both disk and infrastructure, etc.

As the re-installation usually doesn't take long, it would be easier to use the fresh backup console.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby sbbots » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks, I got it figured out. I just restore the VBK from tape then I use the extractor to pull out whichever VM I want to test and copy it to the datastore on a test host.

Basically, the extract utility saves me from having to reimport the VBK into Veeam first. That is helpful.
sbbots
Enthusiast

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Matt B

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:10 am

Yep, extract.exe allows you to restore VMs out of full backup with need to either have full product installation or import backups to backup console. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Tape