Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
David JS
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Smith

Veeam GFS Tape job

Post by David JS »

Hi All,

I am quite new to Veeam and need some usage advice, I have a GFS tape job when all the incremental have been written to tape the last job sits there with mostly green ticks asking me to add a new tape to the media pool "17/09/2019 3:01:40 AM :: Add tape to media pool GFS 001 (IBM 3573-TL 1210 (ServerName)). Oldest retained tape: WEDNESDAY. Last written tape: MONDAY" The tape job has not ran out of space on the current tape (LTO6 - job total transferred is 500GB) the job progress is also sitting on 99%. Once I put the next tape in the drive it will finish the job, wait until 3AM (the GFS Tape job is set to run every day at 3AM) the next day to write the next lot of incremental's to tape.
Id like to be able to remove the tape in the morning and have it off site fairly quick, I don't want to have to wait to receive the next tape to be able to remove the one that was just written.

Any idea on what is going on, I am sure I am just missing something simple...
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam GFS Tape job

Post by Dima P. »

Hello David,

In the GFS media pool properties > Media Set step click advanced and make sure 'Append backup file to incomplete tapes' check box is checked (otherwise every single tape job run within single media set will require separate tape media).

David JS
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Smith

Re: Veeam GFS Tape job

Post by David JS »

Hey Dima,

I have that box checked but every morning it is asking for the next tape, once I put that tape in the drive it will unload last nights tape and load the next one then write to it at 3am.

Its like the job is just looking for the next tape in the queue?
The job is also reading as 'Success' under status.

P.S. I currently only have one job pointed to the GFS media pool