Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup to Dell's PowerVault TL2000

Post by veremin »

Will veeam see that some active fulls are missing an re-write them.
Yep, this is the way product works. However, according to the plan, this implementation is going to be improved in the next release.

Thanks.
paps40
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Peter Pappas

Post by paps40 »

Dell TL2000 & Veeam Tape Job Compression Issues Update

I would like to post an update about my previous post on compression not working. Veeam level 2 support helped me with this issue. This issue has now been resolved. It turns out that compression was working all along. It's just that veeam was not reporting it correctly. When you view compression under Backups < Tape < R-Click on Job Name < Look at compression. These are the compression stats of the veeam backup job not the backup to tape stats as one would assume.

In order to verify compression I had to look at what was stored on the tape and cross reference that with the size of the backups in the repository. I was able to fit 3 active fulls totaling 6.18 TB on 1 tape. I hope the tape reporting gets better in the next release.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As Tom has pointed out, false compression report coming from Veeam side is something expected, since, in this case, it's tape drive/library that is doing compression.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback; much appreciated.
dgapinski
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dan Gapinski

[MERGED] : PowerVault TL2000 with iSCSI Controller Card

Post by dgapinski »

Hey Lewis, now that Veeam does support direct access to tape, I was wondering if you have it talking to your tape loader directly & working well. I am looking at this possible configuration myself.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi Dan,

I've merged your post to the different discussion regarding VB&R tape functionality and Dell TL2000 device.

In general, the said device should work fine in conjunction with VB&R, as long as, non-exclusive drivers are installed. For more detailed information, kindly, see answers provided above.

Thanks.
dgapinski
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dan Gapinski

Post by dgapinski »

Thanks for that - looks like a very worthy project if you don't have the coin for a super-awesome new tape loader with iSCSI built in. I will post if I can verify that the config works.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yes, the lack of ISCSI functionality can be currently bypassed by using certain tape redirecting utilities. As to the future, we're planning to support libraries and standalone drives connected to VB&R proxy servers in one of the next releases.

Thanks.
ysrinath24
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: yelchuri srinath

Post by ysrinath24 »

The tape drive itself is installed and recognized by Veeam, but it is not showing anything in Media or Media Pools .i am using veeam backup version 8.0 trail .after i installed nonexclusive.exe also it is not showing anything what to do please help any one .i am using first time veeam backup
C:\Dell\Drivers\7NH5M\7NH5M\Windows2008x64_R2 (I had already obtained the driver that Dmitry references above)
ran install_nonexclusive.exe
ysrinath24
Novice

Re: [MERGED] Dell PowerVault TL2000

Post by ysrinath24 »

Shralok wrote: The tape drive itself is installed and recognized by Veeam, but it is not showing anything in Media or Media Pools - I can't even add a Media Pool.
now i am facing same problem how you overcome this problem .even though i installed nonexclusive.exe .i am not able to see media and media pools please help me ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

ysrinath24,

Can you see the library with the drives in the UI? Did you perform a library inventory?
ysrinath24
Novice

Post by ysrinath24 »

yes Dima P. i am seeing tape library with 1 drive in the ui and also i am able to inventory the library but while inventorying i am seeing messages like below in a small window.

1.processing started with date and time.
2.Drive1(drive id :Tape 0)locked successfully.
3.Drive1(drive id :Tape 0)is empty.
4.completed successfully with date and time.

i am able to inventory the library and i am able to add media pools but the problem is it's not showing anything ion media and media pool.i have images to send but how i want send here?

in tape infrastructure
+ Libraries IBMULT3580-TD4(tape 0)
+drives Drive1(Drive ID: Tape0) model:IBMUlT3580-TD4 state :Empty

when i click on drive1 properties the below properties are showing like this

Model :IBMULT3580-TD4
server :CEAD-DC(system name)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Libraries IBMULT3580-TD4(tape 0) Drive1(Drive ID: Tape0)model :IBMUlT3580-TD4
It seems that the changer driver was not properly installed. Go to Windows Device Manager > Medium Changer Driver and remove the default Unknown Medium Changer. Install the vendor driver instead (I bet the reference should be somewhere in this thread)

P.S. Unknown Medium Changer support (or failover to SCSI commands) will be available in the v9 version out of the box, meanwhile, please install the proper drivers.

ysrinath24
Novice

Post by ysrinath24 »

:oops: in my device manager it is just showing 1 tape driver alone (IBM ULTRIUM -TD4 sequencial device ) not showing any medium changer devices.to detetct medium changer driver what to do ? we are backing up data with fiber channel.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

It should be as simple as:

1. Connect your Library to the server
2. Scan for hardware changes in the device manager
3. Install the proper drivers

If that does not work – check the library manual for detailed instructions.
ysrinath24
Novice

Post by ysrinath24 »

Thank you very much Dima P. its working now i changed sequence to random . :lol:
ysrinath24
Novice

Post by ysrinath24 »

i am using file to tape backup options .after backup the data (files)from different servers to tape slot , if i want erase or remove some particular data from tape slot means how i want do ? is there any option to do that are i want erase full tape to erase small data also :?:
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi ysrinath24,
if i want erase or remove some particular data from tape slot means how i want do ?
It’s impossible to remove the particular data – all tape media should be marked as free or erased instead.
ysrinath24
Novice

Post by ysrinath24 »

ok thank you
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Post by redhorse »

Does anyone have experience with A13 driver for TL2000? There are two options for nonexlusive:

install_nonexclusive_dpf.exe
install_nonexclusive_no_dpf.exe

Both can't be installed so I will contact Dell Support, but perhaps someone uses the A13 driver with Veeam?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Are you sure, you need the Data Path Failover driver (_dpf on the end). Regular install_nonexclusive.exe file is a part of the 7NH5M_ZPE.exe driver file once you extract it :wink:

P.S. Is A13 a driver revision?
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Dima P. wrote:Are you sure, you need the Data Path Failover driver (_dpf on the end). Regular install_nonexclusive.exe file is a part of the 7NH5M_ZPE.exe driver file once you extract it :wink:

P.S. Is A13 a driver revision?
I see that the 7NH5M_ZPE.exe driver seems to be the right one, so thanks a lot.
A13 (6GCC2) is a driver revision and I asked Dell support and got the information that I have to do a firmware update first before using this driver. Unfortunately the backup of our Veeam files with Backup Exec will start now so I will try it tomorrow once again. I just want to verify that my library is working with Veeam before I stop using Backup Exec (what I am really waiting for :D ).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Good! A couple of manual test backups and restores is always a must before leaving it in automated mode for any solution.

Funny thing: I do see the latest is A14 but I won’t ever use it if the support team has referred to the previous version
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse » 1 person likes this post

I can verify that everything works fine with the 7NH5M-driver. I tested some backups and restore of VMs and files and it works. Just telling a software to backup something to tape and it does what you want is a strange feeling when you are customer of Backup Exec for many years. :D
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Just telling a software to backup something to tape and it does what you want is a strange feeling when you are customer of Backup Exec for many years.
Music to my ears - thanks for the heads up :D