Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Treeeman
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Veeam Tape - Data Retention - Overwrite oldest Backups

Post by Treeeman »

Hi,

i have a question ragarding Tape Data Retention.
I want to acchive that my Backups are offloaded on Tape and protected for MINIMAL two Weeks.
If there are more Tapes available to store a longer Period of time than my Protection TIme, Veeam should use that Tapes first.
Right now it seems for me that Veeam only cares about protecting two Weeks. The other (much older Tapes) are not used.

I realized this after looking at my Restore Points on Tape for a VM.
There where about 500 Restore Points available. The first 22 RP where for the last 22 Days (1 RP on each Day). I think this are my "2 Weeks ProtectioN". But then there was a huge Cap and there where much more RP starting with "166 days ago".
This Restore Points are on Tapes within my library (maybe created by another retired Backup to Tape Job). But Veeam don't overwrite this Backups.

Is this by Design?
Is this because the Tapes with the old Backups were created with another (meanwhile deleted) Backup to Tape Job?

Thanks.

Kind Regards
Marco
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Tape - Data Retention - Overwrite oldest Backups

Post by veremin »

Can you tell us how those tapes are marked in GUI (take a look at location and expires in columns)?
Treeeman
Enthusiast

Post by Treeeman »

Tapes are marked as "Expired".
Location is different, because it's a Tape Library. But all Tapes on "online".
The oldest Backup on Tape is over 260 Days old. But Veeam seems not touching this old Backups and only cares for the "2 Weeks Protection" using always the same Tapes.
Maybe adding this extreme old Tapes to "Free Media Pool" get Veeam using this Tapes again?
What do you think?

Thanks.
KR
Marco
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, by moving those tapes to "Free" Media Pool you will basically mark them as free, and they will be leveraged whenever need for new medias comes. That's what I'd suggest you as a first step.

If the issue re-occurs and expired tapes don't get automatically re-used, kindly, open a ticket with our support team.

Thanks.
Treeeman
Enthusiast

Post by Treeeman »

Ok. Thanks. I will give it a try.
But basicly i am correct informed that Veeam first using the Tape with the oldest Backups. The Protection Period is only for guarantee the desired (minimal) keeping-period for my Backups.

Thanks.
KR
Marco
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

This is correct, priority is given to expired media rather than to free one.