Veeam Tape job is marking double the size of a vm

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Veeam Tape job is marking double the size of a vm

Veeam Logoby mattdwyerva » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:49 pm

v.Eremin wrote:Not sure whether I got that. Are you saying that job interruption resulted in two .vbks being archived or in one doubled in size.vbk ?

Two - exactly as Alan notes in his post. So, interrupting the backup was irrelevant, but erasing the original tape was the relevant issue.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:22 am

So, it turned that there were two .vbks archived to tapes. Not one, as you told me originally.

v.Eremin wrote:Can you clarify the following: is it one virtual full backup that occupies 1.5 TB or has a backup server decided to archive two full backups to tape, instead of one?

mattdwyerva wrote:One syn full backup that is twice as big as it should be.

The described behaviour is expected. If the .vbk is still present on disk, but got removed from tapes, VB&R will try to copy it anew. Therefore, it's recommended to have tape retention longer than the disk one.

Anyway, ability to copy always the latest full backup will be added in version 9, if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 974 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby mattdwyerva » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:46 am

Yes, my prior post was not correct.

Does the VBR log report that it is copying two VBKs? I thought it simply said one was being processed, but perhaps I misread it?
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:52 am

Processed - might be, as currently such thing as tape parallel processing doesn't exist. However, in the beginning of backup to tape job session there should be mention that the job is about to archive two files. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 974 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby mattdwyerva » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:56 pm 1 person likes this post

Job Tools - > Report pulls up the Veeam Session Report in browser. In upper right corner of large header box, it says "2 of 2 backups processed" every day regardless of activity including the first day. It then says "Success: 1" and lists file size (sometimes 749 and sometimes 1.5 TB). I suggest one more box that says "# of Files" (or have an optional "full details" selection that would include list of files and sizes copied to tape).

OTOH, right clicking Libraries->Media->Online and choosing properties illustrates exactly what is on the tape (and I should have done that previously), which is a very nice feature.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Tape