VM Backup Direct to Tape

Everything about backing up to tape

VM Backup Direct to Tape

Veeam Logoby gdavid16 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:12 pm

is there a way to send a virtual machine directly to tape without hitting disk?
it seems that the options are backup to disk jobs and file/folders
gdavid16
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: George D.

Re: VM Backup Direct to Tape

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi gdavid16,

Unfortunately, it’s not supported - Veeam B&R tape backup follows the disk to disk to tape approach.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:05 am

Though, you still can create a local backup job, set a pretty short retention for it, and use the job as a source for backup to tape job afterwards. Not only will it allow you to have a virtual machine backup stored on tapes, but also it guarantee at least two copies of your backup data (recommended practice). Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Dave338 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:23 pm

I have my backup jobs with 2 days retention (reverse incremental), like Eremin mentioned, and a backup copy job with 2 weeks daily plus one monthly backup retention, and my tape jobs reading data of my backup jobs.
I run active fulls every three months alternating my three backup jobs, so no excessive amount of data is stored more than two days.

After investing and testing various backup strategies, this one has been the winner and they're working without issues for many months :D :D :D

Regards.
Dave338
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:58 pm

Yep, David, your plan looks absolutely solid and is perfectly in-line with famous 3-2-1 rule.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rreed » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:30 pm

Could we make this a feature request please? It would be handy for in a pinch situations where you don't have the time, inclination, HDD space, etc. and don't care how slowly it might run, etc.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
rreed
Expert

Liked: 72 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:13 am

Yes, you can. But keep in mind that we're cautious to implement functionality that is against the recommended best practices.

Anyway, even today you can archive files residing on a particular server directly to tapes, using files to tape job.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rreed » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Many thanks for the feedback, and yes I agree B2D2T and 3-2-1 rule are best, but as mentioned sometimes we're in a pinch for time, don't have the disk space landing zone big enough to even temporarily hold a large VM, etc. It would be nice to have as an option, and as end users we accept the risks. For our shop it would only be the as-needed exception to the rule, rather than practice.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Expert

Veeam Logoby rreed » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:33 pm 1 person likes this post

OH! Before I forget, direct to tape - AT SPEED - would be a necessity as well if that's possible please. I don't know if that expectation is realistic, because we found Backup Exec direct to tape speed was abysmal despite B2D2T being able to run great (remote storage --> tape vs. tape server --> tape). I'm finding similar results w/ Veeam as well; if we do a file to tape job from storage in the same rack copy files to tape the speed is slow (~50-something MBps), but if we have a file to tape or backup job that pulls the source data from the tape server locally to tape it's nice and fast (LTO-6, ~140-155MBps).

When you have 10Gbps storage fabric, 4Gbps LACP connection to your tape backup server (even w/ a single data stream going over one of the 1Gbps NICs), LTO-6/1.2Gbps via 6Gbps SAS, end user expectations on throughput are high. In theory Veeam should be able to pipe data from your storage fabric all the way through to that tape drive at full speed. For whatever reason Backup Exec couldn't do it - and support did confirm that, and Veeam v8 while does do better (~50MBps vs. BE's ~40MBps pulling from remote storage direct to tape), it should be able to do ~140-150MBps "pass-through" since it can run this full speed if the tape server is piping it from itself to tape. Of course we do expect some overhead somewhere, but ~50MBps vs. LTO-6's 160MBps becomes unusable when we get into no local LZ big enough to temporarily hold data, we need a tape cut fast, etc.

One other thing I haven't seen it mentioned, but if Veeam isn't aware of shoe shining, back hitching, etc. please do read up. Getting maximum throughput up to your tape drive is vitally important for a number of reasons please! :)
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Expert

Return to Tape