Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
crazylefty
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt Hart

What jobs are retiring my tapes?

Post by crazylefty »

Hi everyone, I've got a tape library with 2x LTO6 drives that seem to be randomly marking tapes as retired, even brand new tapes.
How can I tell which jobs are triggering the tapes to be marked as retired?
I've got a few dozen jobs and going through each one's history is tedious. We also have VeeamOne but I don't see any kind of 'retired tape' report.
Any ideas? I just need to send logs to the hardware vendor so we can track this down. We've replaced the drives a few times now and it seems to be Ok for a week or two.
Thanks in advance!
-Matt
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: What jobs are retiring my tapes?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
what makes you think that a Veeam job is the reason for the retired tapes. As my colleague mentioned
veremin wrote:Tape is moved to Retired Media Pool when drive/library instructs a backup server that media has become unusable and has to be taken out of service
it seems to be Ok for a week or two.
so it is working now?

Best regards,
Hannes
crazylefty
Influencer

Post by crazylefty » 1 person likes this post

I don't think its a Veeam job that is causing it, I just want to find a log where Veeam says "OK this tape is bad according to the drive itself, lets move it to retired"
The problem goes away when we replace the drive, and seems to resurface a week or so later.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

ah, logs are in c:\programdata\veeam\backup....

I usually use notepad++ with "search in files" to find something. As with any technical issues, the best way is to check with Veeam support (please post the case number for reference)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

The problem goes away when we replace the drive, and seems to resurface a week or so later.
Any change you have tape drive cleaning automated either with Veeam B&R or via vendor's tools? Tape drive can flag the tape as retired by mistake whenever it's dirty and requires cleaning.
crazylefty
Influencer

Post by crazylefty »

I have it handled through Veeam, previously the library itself was doing it but would never run since Veeam jobs were running pretty continuously. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if removing the tapes from the retired pool was easier, but its a whole process to move the tapes back. These are brand new tapes without any write cycles on them.