Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
fenyx
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas

Backup job's machine-to-machine migration

Post by fenyx »

In our company we have a Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 server and a linux machine1 with Veeam Agent doing regular backups. The linux machine1 will be replaced very soon with a linux machine2.

The new machine2 will have the same IP and hostname as the old machine1. On VB&R GUI we can see the machine1 backup job in Jobs > Agents > "hostname.fqdn JobName", and we would like machine2 Veeam Agent to continue backups on the same VB&R job.

We would like to export the machine1 backup job configuration with the command "veeamconfig config export --file <path>" and import the resulting XML file to machine2. But we can't see the job ID in the XML file, only the job name. So the machine2 imported job will surely have the same job name but not the same job ID.
Does it mean that the first machine2 backup job execution will create a duplicate backup on VB&R GUI with the same parameters and name as machine1?
Or does it mean that the new Veeam Agent's job on machine2 will process backups on the same VB&R "hostname.fqdn JobName" backup as machine1?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup job's machine-to-machine migration

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
a new machine will produce new backups. No matter whether the host name / fqdn is the same.

You will still see the old backups, so you can still restore from them. In the UI you, you need to check based on the day, as the names are the same - but it's easy to figure out.

Best regards,
Hannes
fenyx
Novice

Post by fenyx »

Thank you Hannes for your answer.
Does it mean that there's no possibility to use on machine2 the same job ID as machine1? And no technical way to import the job ID, that's it? We thought about importing the /var/lib/veeam/veeam_db.sqlite, that's why I'm asking this.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I guess you are using a recommended backup method (entire system / volume) which is block based. Blocks are different on different machines...

Best regards,
Hannes
fenyx
Novice

Post by fenyx »

Ok, understood.
Thanks Hannes, and have a nice day :)
merku
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Mercurio

Post by merku »

Hello,
I have the same problem / doubt.
You will still see the old backups, so you can still restore from them. In the UI you, you need to check based on the day, as the names are the same - but it's easy to figure out.
But to see the old backups from the new machine, I necessarily have to do an export config and import config on the new machine?
If the answer is yes, if for some reason I forget to export and import the new one, is there a procedure that allows me to reread those backups with Veeam Agent on Linux?

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
sorry, I cannot follow the question. Are we talking about Veeam Backup & Replication managing your backups?

Then the backups just stay in the UI under backups -> disk (imported) (or in V11 disk (orphaned))

Can you please describe your setup?

The old configuration is irrelevant. Veeam backup files are standalone / self-containing for safety reasons. A configuration is not required for restore, as long as you have the backup files intact.

Best regards,
Hannes
merku
Enthusiast

Post by merku »

Hello,
yes my backup is managed with Veeam Backup & Replication.
I have backups of Linux machines with agent installed on board, I configured them as Type: Server and Mode: Managed by backup server.
I know I see the backups under Backups -> Disks Imported, but in order to restore any file with FLR Veeam asks me for a Helper Appliance configuration (I don't have a hypervisor).
I guess these backups I have to reread directly from the Linux machine with agent installed.
But in case I need to replace Linux machine A with Linux machine B how do I reuse backups of Linux machine A from new Linux machine B?

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Until Veeam V10, you will need to mount the backup to a helper Appliance (VmWare oder HyperV) to do a FLR restore.
With Veeam V11, you should be able to mount the restore point to any linux server todo a FLR Restore. No need to boot a helper Appliance. I haven't the time to test this, I hope, will be able to do it next week

Veeam V11 GA will be released sometimes the next two weeks or you get your hand at it with the help of veeam support ticket.

Testing:
I have tested the restore. You can backup a linux agent.
For Restore, simply choose between restore with the help of a "linux host" or "helper Appliance".
Backup will get mounted in the background to this linux host and veeam will open the veeam Explorer for FLR
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

The Linux Host chosen for the FLR restore process will be your new "Linux machine B".
(Can be a VM or a physical linux server)

Veeam V11 will be awesome :-)
https://go.veeam.com/v11-de
merku
Enthusiast

Post by merku »

Thanks for the clarification.
In fact, with Veeam 10 I don't see this possibility.
So right now the only way is to have a Hypervisor?
There are no other configurations that can be done on the Linux Agent side on a physical machine to recover the files?

Thanks for sharing the Veeam 11 event I will definitely be there :D
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

No Problem :-)
If you want to restore linux files from VBR Console Veeam 9.5 + 10.0, you will need a hypervisor.
If you can wait for 1-2 weeks, Veeam V11 should be available. You can upgrade your VBR server and restore files without a hypervisor.

For restore on the directly on the agent, you have your answer in the other thread :-)
veeam-agents-for-linux-mac-aix-solaris- ... 72025.html