Backup of NFS mounts not supported

Backup agent for Linux servers and workstations on-premises or in the public cloud

Backup of NFS mounts not supported

Veeam Logoby Henrik.Grevelund » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi

Is there any way to make the agent accept backup of files on a NFS mounted filesystem ?

I do acknowledge to potential misuse of licensing because 1 linux server could backup several machines data, but it will not be able to protect the system in total. So i don't believe it would be misused in production setups.
It would help being able to protect even more data where veeam can't be installed.

Have a nice weekend,
Henrik
Henrik.Grevelund
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Henrik Grevelund

Re: Backup of NFS mounts not supported

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Currently there is no workaround sadly however this has been requested before so we'll look into this.
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Architect (VMCA)
http://foonet.be
vmniels
Veeam Software

Liked: 361 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Veeam Logoby Henrik.Grevelund » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the quick answer.
Have something to look forward to then :-)

Have nice weekend,
Henrik
Henrik.Grevelund
Service Provider

Full Name: Henrik Grevelund

Veeam Logoby pheyns » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 pm

I also logged a ticket for this today and they suggested I post in the forum.
This is definitely a feature we need. We are trying to decommission old, deprecated Backup Software so we can consolidate on VEEAM, but we are unable to do so until this feature is available.
Thanks
pheyns
Lurker

Full Name: Phillip Heyns

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:26 am

Hi,

May I ask you what kind of data do you keep on that NFS share (data files, media files, root filesystem)? How many of those?

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 269 times

Veeam Logoby ashleyw » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:41 pm

hi, This requirement also relates to some investigation we are doing in terms of containers and using NFS for persisting container data. In our case the NFS layer could be exposed directly from the SAN device, so in our case things like attachments etc would be stored (1000s of binary objects). It would be great to use Veeam for this rather than one of the old school agent based backup solutions from other vendors.
I guess a VM would need to be identified as requiring to be backup up through an inside VM agent style backup rather than via VADP layer (having said that containers present yet another level of complexity I think unless the NFS store was additionally mounted outside of the container for backup purposes).
To make this requirement more generic, the ability to backup an NFS mount could apply to windows based workloads as well - but requires the VM to be treated as a file based store rather than a VM object.
ashleyw
Service Provider

Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Return to Veeam Agent for Linux