Standalone backup agent for Linux servers and workstations on-premises or in the public cloud
P.Tide
Product Manager
Liked: 426 times

Re: Does Veeam Agent for Linux support recover a LVM?

Post by P.Tide » Mar 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi,

It is a known issue with the most recent version of Recovery Media (3.0.0.865). Please try using ISO v2.0.1

Thanks!

ASG
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by ASG » Mar 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Thanks for your quick reply, I didn't read this in the Top Issue tracker post - maybe it's worth adding it there?

Apart from that - is it possible to get a LUKS cryptsetup on the disk? I've tried adding veeam agent to my own custom livecd that I use for installing (unpacking the image) and encrypting - however I'm only getting the option to restore files (that is mounting the image in a folder). I would write a script that's rsyncing then - however it's pretty static regarding the folder structure... Having the option to create the encrypted volumes via the veeam cd and then let veeam restore seems like the better way.

Edit:
Or is there a way to make the veeam agent mount the partitions/lvs into single folders? That would make the scripting A LOT easier versus the whole filesystem in a single mountpoint.

P.Tide
Product Manager

Post by P.Tide » Mar 04, 2019 5:44 pm

I didn't read this in the Top Issue tracker post - maybe it's worth adding it there?
Good call, added.
Having the option to create the encrypted volumes via the veeam cd and then let veeam restore seems like the better way.
Agree. Would just CLI interface suffice?
Or is there a way to make the veeam agent mount the partitions/lvs into single folders? That would make the scripting A LOT easier versus the whole filesystem in a single mountpoint.
You mean that you want to see different mountpoints from the original system not in a single /mnt/backup directory, but something like /mnt/backup/vg-root, /mnt/backup/vg-home etc?

Thanks!

ASG
Enthusiast

Post by ASG » Mar 05, 2019 6:45 am

Hi PTide,

yes CLI would suffice - I'm doing it on the CLI now anyway as I'll have to setup things a bit special.

And yes, different mountpoints (or maybe an option - some people maybe need the single mountpoint for just restoring a file regardless on which volume it resides) would make things a lot easier in some cases (scripting to rsync the mountpoint to just created volumes for example).

Thanks!
ASG

ASG
Enthusiast

Post by ASG » Mar 05, 2019 10:29 am

Just a quick add (since I can't edit my other post)

- Using the old ISO indeed works restoring the LVM - however the system is not bootable since the LVM is different (it was encrypted when backed up) and Ubuntu refuses to boot. Apart from that the system was unencrypted (and encrypting the disks is a must-do) and this wouldn't be a way to do a restore anyway.

- I've added the Agent to my livecd, created the partitions and encrypted lvm manually and then mounted the restore point via the agent gui. Afterwards I've made a script that rsyncs the different partitions onto the target volumes via excludes (since the whole directory-tree is mounted under /mnt/backup) and this works fine. Afterwards chrooting and a bit of changing crypttab and grub-install and the system is booting just fine as it should.

While having the different mountpoints available would be easier (no need to work with excludes etc... when rsyncing the directories) it works with the existing mountpoint and I'm happy. Scripted everything apart from mounting the veeam Backup and gave it a few testruns - everything worked.

P.Tide
Product Manager

Post by P.Tide » Mar 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Ok, I just want to wrap my head around your setup:

On the original system you had your root LV sitting on an encrypted luks device, right? What about /boot - is it encrypted too?

Thanks!

ASG
Enthusiast

Post by ASG » Mar 05, 2019 1:57 pm

The original system looks like this:

Code: Select all

sda (RAID)
- sda1 EFI /boot/efi
- sda2 boot /boot/
- sda3 (encrypted luks)
 - LVM
  - ROOT /
  - DATA /data
  - SWAP swap
boot and efi are not encrypted, but the other volumes are encrypted. Some of our servers have a second data volume (since the data on these volumes doesn't need to be backed up) but most of our Linux systems use this layout.

houla
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by houla » Mar 10, 2019 3:59 am

Does moving to 3.0.0.957 resolve the LVM issue as 2.0.1.665 does ?

Thanks!

P.Tide
Product Manager

Post by P.Tide » Mar 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Hi,

If you're referring to VAL 3.0.0.957 then it is a private fix that is dedicated to problems #2 and #8 from the Top Issues list.
If you were referring to ISO v3.0.0.957, then you should consult the support engineer that gave it to you.

Thanks!

houla
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by houla » Mar 14, 2019 1:28 am

Referring to the ISO v3.0.0.957 resolving the LVM issue as ISO 2.0.1.665 seems to.

And the ISO v3.0.0.957 was downloaded from a Veeam files directory - no support engineer was involved.

Thanks

nielsengelen
Veeam Software
Liked: 515 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen » Mar 14, 2019 7:49 am

If you want to use the ISO for version 3 please contact support for the hotfix. As v3 has brought changes, it may happen that you can’t restore backups when using the ISO for version 2.
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Architect (VMCA)
http://foonet.be

emilec
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times

Post by emilec » Apr 03, 2019 5:05 pm

I have also been having issues restoring a CentOS 7 system with LVM with VAL version 3.0. Using recovery 3.0.1.1046 with customizations from the OS. The restore wizard seems to be doing what it needs to do and in fact booting from a CentOS recovery ISO shows all the correct partitions. So I dug a bit more and for some reason the bootable partition is not being set (I am still using BIOS mode). The way to fix this was to boot a CentOS ISO and use parted to run "disk_set pmbr_boot on"

Notice the disk flag is blank

# parted -l
Model: DELL PERC H730P Adp (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2399GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  2097kB  1049kB                     bios_grub
 2      2097kB  539MB   537MB   xfs
 3      539MB   34.1GB  33.6GB                     lvm
To fix

parted /dev/sda
disk_set pmbr_boot on
Details will now show

Disk Flags: pmbr_boot
So one feature request: please can you include parted in the recovery image? In theory I should be able to complete the recovery, drop to the CLI and fix it before rebooting.

emilec
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times

Post by emilec » Apr 04, 2019 6:02 am

I also got some feedback from Veeam support who suggested I set the boot flag with fdisk. fdisk on CentOS specifically warns against using fdisk (2.23.2) on gpt disks and there is no "a" option to set the bootable flag. However the fdisk (2.27.1) on the veeam recovery media has an "A" option under the expert settings to set legacy BIOS bootable flag. I used that to set it on /dev/sda1 after the restore and the system boots (listed as bios_grub in parted).

Information on the internet seems to be somewhat conflicted on manipulating gpt with fdisk.

P.Tide
Product Manager

Post by P.Tide » Apr 06, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi,

Good call. We'll consider adding parted into the image.

Thanks!