Does Veeam Agent for Linux support recover a LVM?

Backup agent for Linux servers and workstations on-premises or in the public cloud

Does Veeam Agent for Linux support recover a LVM?

Veeam Logoby jorgedlcruz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:41 am 1 person likes this post

Hi guys,
I have a Ubuntu Server, by default Ubuntu always creates a LVM, but trying to recover, VAL doesn't clone the whole partition table, so the LVM doesn't work:

You can see after recover, the partition table is not the same:

Would you mind to help me?
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz Mingo

Re: Does Veeam Agent for Linux support recover a LVM?

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:52 am

Hi,

You selected sda on the left side, pressed enter and selected "Restore whole disk from ..." and then picked sda from the right pane, is that correct?
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 236 times

Veeam Logoby jorgedlcruz » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Yes that's correct, I have tried many times and doesn't work, would you mind to check on your side?

Best regards
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz Mingo

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:59 am

Currently automatic restores of LV is not fully supported. For now you can turn sda5 into a PV and create a VG (or add sda5 to an existing VG). After that you can start creating LVs in the VG manually and perform restores to them aftewards.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby LaHo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:02 am

Hello,

I tested this too.
When I do a single volume backup then I understand that there is a limitation in LVM restore.
My expectation to have a bare machine backup for my linux servers by executing "entire machine (recommended)" backup in veeam is not satisfied.
If I try to restore the entire machine backup with the recovery media iso - there is the point "restore whole disk to..." I expect that will restore whole disk (doesn’t matter LVM or without LVM) and have finally a running bootable system.

But finally it restores sda1 (/boot), while sda2 the LVM Part / (ext4 root) is missing (looks not like a whole disk...)

I am able to restore the / (ext4) to /sda2 as a separate step but booting from that will not be possible.

That makes the restore real complicated for systems having LVM and veeam for linux much inadequate. Unfortunately Ubuntu and Redhat has LVM as a preferred layout.
How will the GA of veeam handle LVM / whole disk restores?
I am the only one who expect from whole disk a whole disk???

Regards,
LaHo
LaHo
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: LaHo

Veeam Logoby ovidiu » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:04 pm

Just commenting to get a notification when the topic is answered as I cannot seem to find a button to subscribe without commenting.
ovidiu
Influencer

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:32 pm

Updating this thread with a couple of questions:

I am the only one who expect from whole disk a whole disk???
Let's talk about the degree of automatization. Do you expect the software to automatically restore LV structure in case the VG is spread across many PV residing on different drives, or you just want the automatization to work with basic scenarios (like the on on the picture above)? If the former then do you expect it to work on a set of drives that differ from the original set by capacity or number of disks or both?

For now the simplest way to restore the machine to a bootable state is to perform the following steps:

1. Pick sda, choose "restore whole disk from ...", pick sda from the backup.
2. Pick sda2 and choose "create LVM physical volume". Enter VG name. Make sure that it has the same name as in the backup you're restoring from.
3. Pick free space inside the VG, choose to "restore volume from ...", pick root LV from the backup. Perform the same for the remaining free space and swap LV. Start restore.

Thanks you
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby LaHo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:25 am

Hello,

I tried your suggested procedure. The difference from your procedure and my first attempt is that you select from the "Current System" while I selected from the "In Backup" location.
However, by selecting "Current-System" > sda > restore whole disk from - generates the lvm and restores lv_root. While selecting "In Backup" > sda > restore whole disk to does not restore lv_root.

After the restore has been completed, I tried to boot the system without success. Booting again from the Veeam.iso and trying to mount the lv_root and boot was successful. Looks to me that the bootloader is missing.
VM Hardware was the same only the vmhardisk has been changed for the restore test.

pvdisplay /dev/sda2

vgdisplay /dev/vg_centos62

lvscan

vgchange -a y /dev/vg_centos62

mount /dev/vg_centos62/lv_root /test and /dev/sda1 (boot) was posible and working. Booting does not start looks like grub bootloader is missing.

Regards,
Laura
LaHo
Novice

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:33 am

Hi,

However, by selecting "Current-System" > sda > restore whole disk from - generates the lvm and restores lv_root
That can happen if there is already a layout on the disk. If you choose a fresh new disk to restore to then you won't get such a result and will have to create LVs manually.

After the restore has been completed, I tried to boot the system without success. Booting again from the Veeam.iso and trying to mount the lv_root and boot was successful. Looks to me that the bootloader is missing.
That's correct, it can be seen from the restore session log that the bootloader wasn't restored to /sda. Could you please clarify once again how excatly did you perform the restore? Was it "backup to disk" or "disk from backup"? In both cases these should have appeared a "loader (sda)" entry in the "Restore" column, did you see that entry?

Thanks!
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby LaHo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi,

That can happen if there is already a layout on the disk. If you choose a fresh new disk to restore to then you won't get such a result and will have to create LVs manually.

The disk was empty (new vmdk). My problem is that there are differences between "whole disk" restores:
left side:
selecting "In Backup" > sda > restore whole disk to :: does not restore lv_root.
right side:
selecting "Current-System" > sda > restore whole disk from :: generates the lvm and restores lv_root

Could you please clarify once again how exactly did you perform the restore? Was it "backup to disk" or "disk from backup"?

Do you mean restore from/to? I did both restores as described above.

Still wondering why bootloader is missing by whole disk...

Thank you
LaHo
LaHo
Novice

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:19 pm

The disk was empty (new vmdk). My problem is that there are differences between "whole disk" restores:
left side:
selecting "In Backup" > sda > restore whole disk to :: does not restore lv_root.
right side:
selecting "Current-System" > sda > restore whole disk from :: generates the lvm and restores lv_root
something is not right here...In other words, you've tried the following two cases:

1. You took a newly created vmdk-1 and selected "In Backup" > sda > restore whole disk to" and that did not restored lv_root. (totally expected for Beta)

2. You took another newly created vmdk-2 and selected "Current-System" > sda > restore whole disk from" and that did restore lv_root. (unexpected for Beta)

Is that correct?

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby LaHo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi,

I tried both again, but in each case the LVM is not created by just selecting restore whole disk form/to.
So you are right. I have to follow your instructions to create LVM
1. Pick sda, choose "restore whole disk from ...", pick sda from the backup.
2. Pick sda2 and choose "create LVM physical volume". Enter VG name. Make sure that it has the same name as in the backup you're restoring from.
3. Pick free space inside the VG, choose to "restore volume from ...", pick root LV from the backup. Perform the same for the remaining free space and swap LV. Start restore.

Now I was able to restore the lv_root and lv_swap with success (lv_root is mountable).
But If I try to restore the bootloader I got the error "Unable to convert BootloaderType::type [-1080767520] to string.

Is that a known issue with the beta?

about the degree of automatization.

I would expect for a simple one harddisk LVM configuration (on most server and client installations for the system) that a "whole disk restore" should be a straight forward process" which will restore the data, partiontable and bootloader and be able to boot again, without the need of knowledge of LVM structure and creation. However to have the option to customize LVM or rebuild the new partition on your own is a nice feature.
That should work with same disk size or larger. Nice addon would be to shrink...

Regards
LaHo
LaHo
Novice

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:00 pm

But If I try to restore the bootloader I got the error "Unable to convert BootloaderType::type [-1080767520] to string.
"Restore whole disk from" is supposed to restore a bootloader as well...regarding the BootLoaderType error - our QA team saw that error before, however we did not manage to reproduce it. Does it happen every time? Could you please describe settings of the VM that you are trying to restore?

I would expect for a simple one harddisk LVM configuration (on most server and client installations for the system) that a "whole disk restore" should be a straight forward process" which will restore the data, partiontable and bootloader and be able to boot again, without the need of knowledge of LVM structure and creation. That should work with same disk size or larger.
Noted as a feature request.

Nice addon would be to shrink...
Do you mean LV schrink? That option (and many others) is available in a command line interface via lvresize command.

But If I try to restore the bootloader I got the error "Unable to convert BootloaderType::type [-1080767520] to string. Is that a known issue with the beta?
Yes, that's a known bug.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby LaHo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi,

that´s good to know.

Thank you very much for your help and time.
I will wait for the next version.

Regards
LaHo
LaHo
Novice

Return to Veeam Agent for Linux