Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
jdrch
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Help me convert SMB settings for Veeam Agent for Windows to Veeam Agent for Linux on Ubuntu 18.10

Post by jdrch »

I have a Windows 10 Home PC that serves as a LAN backup target, with a shared folder assigned to each client such that from the client's POV, the share looks like Windows10PC/TargetFolder. My account on this Windows PC is a Microsoft one.

On client PCs, in the Agent for Windows Shared Folder settings, I have //Windows10PC/TargetFolder in the Shared Folder: field, /Windows10PC/MyUsername in the Username field, and my corresponding Microsoft password in the Password field. This has worked perfectly on all my Windows PCs.

However, I'm having all the trouble in the world getting Veeam Agent for Linux on Ubuntu 18.10 to successfully mount the Windows SMB share in the Specify a network location to backup to Veeam config page. I either get a "Permission denied" or "Stale file handle" error. What do I put in the Path, Domain (this doesn't make any sense to me as the target PC is not on a domain. So far I've used "Windows10PC" from above), and Username fields? I think there must be some formatting I'm getting wrong. Help?

Here's an example of something I've tried so far that doesn't work:
https://imgur.com/a/pJ08fcC

Other things that haven't worked: IP address in Path field, using // before the PC name, etc.

PS: I've never gotten SMB to work on Linux due to the above confusion; I don't find its implementation there intuitive at all. So any kind of gentle explanation would be greatly appreciated.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Help me convert SMB settings for Veeam Agent for Windows to Veeam Agent for Linux on Ubuntu 18.10

Post by PTide »

Hi,

If the machine is not on the domain, then the corresponding field should be either left empty or filled with the machine's name. Please remove the machine name either from "Username" field, or from domain, and try again.

Thanks!
jdrch
Enthusiast

Re: Help me convert SMB settings for Veeam Agent for Windows to Veeam Agent for Linux on Ubuntu 18.10

Post by jdrch »

If the machine is not on the domain
This is a home PC, so there is no domain.
remove the machine name either from "Username" field, or from domain, and try again.
When I remove it from the Domain field, I get the following error message:
│ mount error(13): Permission denied │
│ Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) │
│ Exit code: [32] │
│ Failed to execute script command mount │
│ Unable mount device[//DELLINSPIRON560/HPPROBOOK4530S/] to [/tmp/veeam/ │
│ DELLINSPIRON560HPPROBOOK4530S]. │
To me, this suggests that Veeam is able to find the folder but is being denied access to mount it.

When I remove it from the username field, I get:
│ Stale file handle │
│ POSIX: Failed to open file [/tmp/veeam/DELLINSPIRON560HPPROBOOK4530S/ │
│ tmp/test_file_1] for read/write access. │
To me, this suggest Veeam can't find the shared folder at all, which is worse than the previous error message.

FWIW people on other forums have suggested using WORKGROUP, which is the Workgroup the host PC is in, in the Domain field.

When I use WORKGROUP in the Domain field without the PC's name in the Username field, I get the 2nd error message above. If I use it with the PC's name, I get the 1st error message above.

Any further ideas? I'm really frustrated because my Windows Clients can find the folder just fine, so I know it works. It's literally only Veeam for Linux that's having issues for some reason.
jdrch
Enthusiast

Post by jdrch »

Some progress on this. I tried mounting the folder from the command line using:

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=WindowsUsernameWithNoPCNameInIt //DELLINSPIRON560/HPPROBOOK4530S/ /mnt/Test/
And it worked. I was able to write to the shared folder.

However, when I try the same thing in Veeam config, using //DELLINSPIRON560/HPPROBOOK4530S/ as the Path, leaving the Domain field blank, using my Windows username without the PC name in it as Username, and my password, I get:
│ Stale file handle │
│ POSIX: Failed to open file [/tmp/veeam/DELLINSPIRON560HPPROBOOK4530S/ │
│ tmp/test_file_1] for read/write access. │
Since cifs-utils works at the command line, this definitely seems to be a Veeam problem. Ideas?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

That looks unexpected. I'd suggest you to contact support team for investigation. Please post your case ID when you have one.

Thanks!
jdrch
Enthusiast

Post by jdrch » 1 person likes this post

Case ID is 03455131.