Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
hatachung
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Hata Chung

how to restore linux os

Post by hatachung »

Hi, i would like to restore the linux from VM. But i haven't VM root password or any account, i have OS account and Full backup in Veeam. what should i do for restore? Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: how to restore linux os

Post by PTide »

Hi,

First of all, since you've mentioned that there is a VM involved, please clarify whether you used Veeam Agent for Linux or Veeam Backup and Replication to produce full backup? Or did you use Veeam Agent for Linux to backup a VM? Please elaborate.

Thanks
hatachung
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Hata Chung

Post by hatachung »

Hi PTide,

Thanks for your comment, I am using Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 to do it. On Veeam B&R, i am use the Inventory Rescan function to install the Veeam Agent for Linux on Client(Centos 7.x). The management (backup / license update) right is owned by Veeam B&R, i can read the result only in VM. On the other hand, I tried to restore the backup from B&R FLR but not success(because it need to add the VM EXSI server. On this issue, i am using Windows Physical server backup method to do it). Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Actually you should be able to perform file-level recovery right on the linux machine:

1. Login into the linux machine
2. type "veeam"
3. Press "R"

If the system is not bootable then you need to perform bare-metal recovery using recovery ISO, please find the instructions here.

Thanks