Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
toonruler
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Installation on Raspberry (ARMHF) CPU

Post by toonruler » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

will there be a package installable on armhf?
We got a lot of raspberrys running raspbian we'd like to backup.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 720 times

Re: Installation on Raspberry (ARMHF) CPU

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Currently we don't have an integration with arnhf architechture on the roadmap. May I ask you about respberrys' application in your case? What do you use them for?

Thanks
toonruler
Influencer

Post by toonruler »

Hi,

primarily we use them for monitoring purposes (check_MK) and fallback remote access to the customer network.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

You might want to try starting it on Rpi with some ARM to x86 emulator, however you should keep in mind that such configuration is not officially supported so we cannot guarantee that VAL will be fast and stable. If you choose to conduct such an experiment please share you results with us.

Thanks!
Robert Flynn
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: ARM support for VeeamAgent

Post by Robert Flynn »

Hello,

I wanted to ask if there is new information about this topic.
ARM based systems are more powerful today (RasPi3, Odroid XU4 etc) and get more and more popular. So maybe it would make sense to develope an Veeam Agent for Linux for ARM based systems?
Lyonel
Influencer
Full Name: Lyonel

Post by Lyonel »

Hi,

1 year later is the Raspian in the roadmap?

I have a domotic box under Jeedom and i'd like to backup it with Veeam.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

It's not on the roadmap yet, however your request has been noted.

Thank you!
eneko.anorga
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eneko

[MERGED] Re: ARM support for VeeamAgent

Post by eneko.anorga »

Hi there,
I am also interested in this.
It would be a great to see support for ARM architecture devices like Raspberry Pi's and many other...
Are there any plans?
9swampy
Novice
Full Name: Justin Buchanan

Post by 9swampy »

Hi,

1 year later is the Raspian in the roadmap? <<< Bump :)

Monitoring and emergency fallback remote access.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Support for Raspberries has not been scheduled for development yet.

Thanks
eneko.anorga
Novice

[MERGED] Re: ARM support for VeeamAgent

Post by eneko.anorga »

Hi again,

VMware has done some moves running ESXi full nodes on a Raspberry Pi...

What about you guys? ;)

VMware ESXi on Raspberry Pi
https://vinfrastructure.it/2018/11/vmwa ... pberry-pi/
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi Eneko,

It's not clear whether you want to backup Pi with VAL, or you want to add it to VBR as an infrastructure server (repository, for example)?

Thanks!
eneko.anorga
Novice

Post by eneko.anorga »

Hello,

considering that ARM based SBCs (Single Board Computer) like Odroid-XU4, Rock64, RockPro64, Tinker Board S, Raspberry Pi 3 B+, Raspberry Pi Zero are getting more and more popular... it would be a great start to add support for the "Veeam Agent for Linux" to backup those systems...

Would it be possible at all?

You can find a nice review here:

Six SBC Benchmark: ODROID XU4, ROCKPro64 & More!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4kMEbeORLo

Regards,
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

May I ask what kind of backup are you planning to use? I mean, do you want a full image backup (why?), or just some critical files?

Thanks!
Xcame
Lurker

Post by Xcame »

Hi,
here exists some interest as well.
We are using RPis for all kinds of stuff.
Home automation, network monitoring, vpn.

I think a full image backup would be interesting for most of the users out there.
I mean what makes veeam good is how easy to use it is for unexperienced users.
And those are the people that are getting more and more involved with ARM based computers.

For me as professional a Veeam ARM Agent would be interesting for infrastructure reasons beeing able to do full image backups of all our RPis.
For me as a tinkerer at home it would be the convenience to "just take a backup" before going on trying something.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess that none of those tiny devices usually host any frequently changing data? That is, there will be probably no need to take a snapshot of those?
Speaking of the image level backup, I think it is an interesting topic how to perform a BMR restore on those. I see it as a roomy SD card that will contain a bootloader and a minimalistic recovery environment (the one that you see in Recovery Media).
Alternatively, it should be possible to create an additional recovery environment boot entry on live systems. Sounds like a plan? : )

Thanks!
euphoria360
Lurker
Full Name: Rodolfo Iadanza

Post by euphoria360 »

I think there is an underestimation on what these little devices can do.
There are lots of use-cases for these embedded devices. like as a micro server, servers that run only certain not so heavy services, may it be, for information gathering from sensors and acting as simple storage nodes, or become servers for automation in an Infrastructure.

So their main job is usually either gathering data for later analyze or managing some devices based on sensor data and microcontrollers. which on both cases contain important data.

Another reason these devices actually in need of a serious backup solution is that most of them don't have a dedicated flash chip for storing data and they usually boot from SD cards, Which is terrible since there is no wear leveling and due to that they get screwed. Having an Image backup to restore them in case of failure would be a dream.

I personally even have a Raspberry Pi 3 in my home acting as a full headless Debian server, helping me download data and serving me as a NAS/Media manager/Router/VPN/Docker Server. It does a ton of tasks for its little price.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

So their main job is usually either gathering data for later analyze or managing some devices based on sensor data and microcontrollers. which on both cases contain important data.
Would you tell me more, please? :)

So, they don't transfer that data somewhere else, but keep it locally until some tech guy needs it? If so, then I am curios about what kind of storage is used for that data and in what format is that data kept - is it just a bunch of plain text files that rotate on local SD, or some sort of light-weight database that keeps all those records? If not, then I guess some external storage is used (hdd, thumb) for data.

Thanks!
Tecbil
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by Tecbil »

+1 here.

I was recommended to link my original post on reddit here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Veeam/comments ... pberry_pi/
paintballer4lfe
Lurker
Full Name: Nate

Post by paintballer4lfe »

So yeah i'm posting because this could be very useful at my job as well as at home.

We don't use any backup solutions for our Pi's but if Veeam could develop some sort of agent to use with their backup system for Pi's and ARM in general we'd definitely want to try the system out.
We use the Pi's as a simple ticket submission device for our printers if something is down they just press the button associated with the issue and it sends us a ticket and alert. We also have some that are used as basic kiosk's. I also use a Pi 3+ as a basic SNMP monitoring node as well as config backup, syslog and traps reciever.

As for what to backup on the device i'd imagine a full image backup as an initial step adding the devices would be awesome then incremental backups that backup whatever files change and keep them indexed if anything needs to be restored individually or the full restore. Again just some ideas on how backup process could be done but i think a full and partial backup schedule for the file system would be excellent for restoring options as well as keeping control of the backup sizes on the backup storage.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,
As for what to backup on the device i'd imagine a full image backup as an initial step adding the devices would be awesome then incremental backups that backup whatever files change and keep them indexed if anything needs to be restored individually or the full restore.<...>
Ok, while I clearly understand the requirement to be able to back up certain files and directories ("config backup, syslog and traps"), I don't quite get it why do you need a full image backup. How do you see the restore procedure if the sd card dies? Also, what do you mean by "indexed"?

Thanks!
mkevenaar
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Maurice Kevenaar

Post by mkevenaar »

Hi,

We are also interested in Veeam for ARM

"Bare-metal Recovery" to an SD card should always be done via an image file. Like you would normally do when creating a new SD card.
  • Veeam should be able export to an .img file. (instead of your vmdk / vhdx file)
  • .img file should be restored using e.g. win32diskimager / dd / whatever tool you used to create your SD card.
File recovery would be no different than any other OS.
riahc3
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: John

[MERGED] Backup Raspberry Pi?

Post by riahc3 »

Hello

Im intrested in doing backups of a Raspberry Pi. Veeam tries to install its agent which it isnt compatible because its ARM.

How can we do backups using Veeam?

Thank you
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1173 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Backup Raspberry Pi?

Post by nielsengelen »

Currently, we don’t support ARM officially. What is the reason for backing up these devices? Are you running production software on it?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
mensa
Enthusiast

Post by mensa »

We are also interested into backing up Raspberr Pi. We do run Ubiquiti UniFi controller on them.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

We are also interested into backing up Raspberr Pi. We do run Ubiquiti UniFi controller on them.
May I ask you what exactly are you going to back up? Just some data files that are always in use by the system (why not just use rsync for those?), just a bunch of config files (again, rsync should work just fine), or the whole system (I assumed that when someone restores their raspberry device they usually just deploy it anew from some generic image and then apply config files)?

Thanks!
mensa
Enthusiast

Post by mensa »

The whole systsem.
A1ex
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alexandr Varlamov

Post by A1ex » 1 person likes this post

Additional vote for Veeam Agent for ARM (Raspberry, as example).

Pi 4 is quite power SBPC, so it could be used like home lab - experiment to install different apps for wide range use cases. As it is a Debian Linux, there is risk to brake something and it could be very good to have a robust backup. Second reason, as mentioned above, SD card unstability. The third is just to store data and config as consistent backup - save a lot of time for reinstalling stuff.

It will be great if backup could be restored via tool like BalenaEtcher (balena.io), image based backup.
WBR
Alex
Ge0rge
Novice

Post by Ge0rge »

Alex, image file utilities can do that, https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 9&t=247568
Gruncho
Lurker
Full Name: Alberto Escobar

Post by Gruncho » 1 person likes this post

We are a company with about 560 workers. We have more than 70 stores spread across the country. In each of these stores we have a Raspberry Pi 4, being used as a server in production (ubuntu server 18.04LTS). These servers handle applications for warehouse management.

It is very important to be able to have backup copies of these small servers, so that when one fails, we can restore the service as soon as possible.

Our company already has a Veeam Backup and Replication license, and we would like to obtain a Raspberry compatible agent.

Thank you!