Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
ghilou
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

License management snafu?

Post by ghilou »

Ok I have a fun litle problem.

I'm trying to create a second job on a server backed up with Veeam agent for linux :

Code: Select all

[root@carlx024 ~]# veeamconfig job create
Error: Using multiple jobs requires Server edition.
Well i was quite sure this was a server edition :

[root@carlx024 ~]# veeamconfig license show
License information:
  Expiration date: unlimited
  Grace period date: 2017/11/21
  Days left: unlimited
  Mode: Free
  Contact name: ---
  Contact email: ---
Ok, fair enough. Let's upload a license file then.

[root@carlx024 ~]# veeamconfig license install --server --path /tmp/veeam_agent_linux_subscription.lic
Error: License and application mode is managed by Veeam Backup & Replication server.
LicenseManager: Failed to install license from file [/tmp/veeam_agent_linux_subscription.lic].
Okay well, that makes sense. So then I check for licensed agents on my VBR server and, of course, this server (carlx024) is marked as licensed for server Edition. Indeed it does backup on a VBR repository every night without problem (which is impossible with a Free edition, as far as I know).

What am I supposed to do?
ManOrs
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Manuel Orsatti

Re: License management snafu?

Post by ManOrs »

you basically need either the agent or the vbr license, one will suffice to enable an agent to backup to a vbr server (in both cases the license will be on the server, not on the agent)

i don't remember if i had to assign the license explicitly to the agent (in the vbr console) when i did my tests...
ghilou
Influencer

Post by ghilou »

It does backup against a VBR server, and it shows as claiming a server license on the VBR console.

Unfortunatelly it still shows "free edition" agent side, and adding a secondary job (a server edition feature) fails.
vasily_pavlovich
Novice
Full Name: Vasily Pavlovich

Post by vasily_pavlovich »

ghilou,

This is an unexpected behaviour, kindly contact our support team directly at my.veeam.com and post your case ID.

Thank you