Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
BatPenguin
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alan Boushard

Linux Agent 1.0.7

Post by BatPenguin »

I have a Ubuntu 16.04 Machine, virtualized with 6GB of RAM and 2 CPUs, 2 Cores each. 2TB virtual Hard drive. It is setup as a Samba 4 AD domain controller and has shares on it with about 750GB of Data in the shares. I am getting backup sizes every night of around 450GB with the first backup setting around 1.1TB but my overall sever space on the server isn't really increasing that much per day and I don't believe 450GB of files are being changed everyday. I did point it to a new backup Server recently. What could be causing such large backup files each night? I have a similar Ubuntu 16.04 machine with Samba 4 AD on it with similar sizes and it has tiny backups everynight compared to this one.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Linux Agent 1.0.7

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

The backup is block based. That means, if the file-system is doing any kind of reorganization processes, then it will be "changed data". What file-system are you using and is there anything "special"?

A little bit off-topic, but as you say it's virtualized: maybe on VMware or Hyper-V? If yes, then I would suggest to do backup with Backup & Replication and look whether you see the same amount of changed data.

Best regards,
Hannes
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Linux Agent 1.0.7

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please provide a little bit more info:

1. What backup mode do you use - file-level or volume-level?

2. Which version of Agent do you use?

Thanks!