Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
james78666
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: james

Linux Agent Bare Metal Restore

Post by james78666 »

I have been running an evaluation license of the Veeam Agent for Linux off and on for several months. In the past, I could have sworn that their was a 'Restore Entire Machine' option when booting from the Veeam Recovery Media. However, I am unable to see that option now. I have tried booting from Recovery Media 2.01 and an older version.

Is 'Restore Entire Machine' not a current option in Veeam Agent for Linux?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Linux Agent Bare Metal Restore

Post by DGrinev »

Hi James and welcome to the community!

That's not related to the free version, since there are only Volume or File and Folders level restores.
Can you clarify the license has been installed into standalone Agent for Linux or in Veeam B&R server? Thanks!
james78666
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: james

Post by james78666 »

The Evaluation license has been installed on the Veeam B&R server (50000 Agents).
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

That's quite confusing, because you are talking about a feature we never had yet.
Maybe you've seen Entire Machine Backup in the Veeam B&R?
Anyway the only options available in the current version of the product are Volume and File Level Restore. Thanks!
ASG
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by ASG »

I have a follow up regarding this:

Taken from the Help center (here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20 ) there is bare-metal in talk:
The recovery image can be helpful if one of the following errors occur:

The OS on the computer fails to start.
You want to perform bare-metal restore from the backup on the computer without the OS and other software installed.
You want to restore the system volume of the computer and so on.
If I want to do a BMR from a physical Linux Server how is it done? I've backed up the "Entire Server" with an installed agent. Help Center says the recovery image can be used to do a Bare-Metal Restore. Am I correct assuming that BMR would work through Volume Restore?
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

That's correct. You will be able to restore/map volumes from the backup, even if there is no OS installed. Thanks!
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

Post by neilmurphy65 » 1 person likes this post

ASG wrote: Aug 30, 2018 10:39 am I have a follow up regarding this:

Taken from the Help center (here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20 ) there is bare-metal in talk:

If I want to do a BMR from a physical Linux Server how is it done? I've backed up the "Entire Server" with an installed agent. Help Center says the recovery image can be used to do a Bare-Metal Restore. Am I correct assuming that BMR would work through Volume Restore?
For anyone interested, I've written up a blog post on how to do a bare metal restore of a Linux host https://univirt.wordpress.com/2018/10/2 ... l-restore/
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Wow, thanks for that! We'd be glad to hear your opinion on what could be possibly improved/added/simplified in the restore procedure to make restores easier.

Thanks!