Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: problems on ubuntu 16.04 LTS (linode.com VPS)

Post by nielsengelen »

As already mentioned before we will add cloud connect support to the agent later so you can send backups directly to a cloud connect provider. However if they have Veeam Backup & Replication now locally they can send backup to the local repo and then use backup copy jobs to an offsite Cloud Connect provider.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
dgomes
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: David

Re: problems on ubuntu 16.04 LTS (linode.com VPS)

Post by dgomes »

Hi Niels, The issue isn't cloud connect support, but rather the reverse of that. Unless you have a very basic setup, you have a hard time sending backups from the cloud to your local VBR server. I have another thread about it here from my testing after the beta ended and 9.5u1 released: veeam-agent-for-linux-f41/unable-to-sen ... 40580.html

In my customer's case the VBR server is unable to send the correct repo address to the linux agent, so backups fail. As mentioned by other Veeam staff in the thread, with some "hacks" or other networking tricks this can be tricked into working, unfortunately my customer refuses to use such methods on hundreds of globally distributed cloud linux instances. If it was one or two it may have been OK.
fonefoo
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Adam

[MERGED] firewall for offsite backup and replication

Post by fonefoo »

I have a couple public facing linux servers that I'd like to backup to my backup and replication server...
So I obviously will need to open up some ports to get traffic to it (from the outside).

Can only tell me what those ports are?

thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: firewall for offsite backup and replication

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Adam,

List of all used ports can be found here in UG.
There is a detailed description of possible workaround.
Also, check this existing big thread about different problems during remote backup to VBR.

Thanks!