Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Mantap
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Moh Azlan Syah

Replicating Linux Physical Server to Virtual Server?

Post by Mantap »

Hi All,

I have case that our customer want to replicate their Linux physical server to another host, with limited budget.

What come first in my mind is doing continues replication, if possible, to virtual environment; let's say to HyperV. So, now I'm seeking possibility if it is possible to do it with Veeam, Veeam Agent for Linux integrated with VBR9.5 update 3/4?

Or, someone want to share other solution/method regarding our customer need? any information related to this is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Azlan Syah
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 720 times

Re: Replicating Linux Physical Server to Virtual Server?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

If you're looking for a real-time P2V replication, then Veeam Agent for Linux probably can't help you much.

Would you provide more details on what problem exactly are they trying to solve? Do they really need to replicate everything including the OS, or is it just some application?

Thanks!
Mantap
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Moh Azlan Syah

Post by Mantap »

HiPTide,

thank you for your respond.

Currently, their system only run on a single host, they worry if this host get crash/down. So, they want to have another host that replicated primary host. just in case the primary host crash, they can turn on the secondary host.

Replication is not must 'real-time'. RPO 4-5 hours is still acceptable.

for more detail, they use Centos 7 64 bit.

Thanks
Azlan Syah
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 720 times

Post by PTide »

I would look in the direction of the following setup:

1. Take a full backup of the physical system
2. Restore it to a VM, make sure it can boot up.
3. Get a livecd, start the virtual machine off that CD
4. Use rsync or any other syncing tool of your choice to feed changing data or config files (Make sure to copy changes to the actual drive with the OS deployed from the backup, not to read-only livecd /etc/) to the VM that runs from the liveCD.

Now, if the primary server goes down, you'll need to eject the livecd from the VM and reboot it. Keep in mind, that is your primary server server runs some specific application that relies on any sort of transactions (database, mail server etc.) then it might not work well. What do they use the primary server for?

Thanks!