Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
sl0n
Influencer
Liked: never

Restore backup to a new / different disk

Post by sl0n »

Hi All,

I need to migrate to a new laptop, tried to achieve so with Veeam Agent for Linux.

I seem not to be able to create the same partition layout on the new laptop, the best I could get to looks like on the screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkn9jslb9caldr7/IMG_0996.jpg

I restored all partitions, however Linux fails on what I think "luks" devices mounting.

Any hints maybe?
sl0n
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Restore backup to a new / different disk

Post by sl0n »

My current understanding is that restore of LUKS partitions is not supported, can someone confirm that please?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Restore backup to a new / different disk

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

In fact, the crypto layer is transparent for Veeam Agent, i.e. agent is not aware if the partition is atop of LUKS container, or not. So, all data is restored in its decrypted form. Since there are no luks devices anymore on the system, you have to tweak your boot loader accordingly so i does not look for not-existing crypto devices. In other words - no, luks is not supported for restore.

If you want the data to stay encrypted after restore, you can boot from liveCD and create crypto devices beforehand. After that you need to install veeam agent in liveCD environment and perform restore from there. However, this procedure does not eliminate the need to mess with boot loader.

Another workaround that might be feasible in case you don't have anything - install fresh system from scratch and perform file-level restore to get your data to the new installation.

Thank you

P.S. Adding encryption tools into the Recovery Media is already on the roadmap, as well as support for encrypted data backup.