Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
anton101101
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anton

Restored VM No Operating System

Post by anton101101 »

Just carried out a full backup of my linux VM and then restored the volume from the recovery media and when I power the VM i can't find an operating system anyway of telling what part went wrong i.e. the backup or the restore?

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Restored VM No Operating System

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please describe your configuration: OS, disks layout, hardware, backup job settings and provide logs from /var/log/veeam and also please include dmesg -T output. Also please provide more details on the process - if you had any errors during backup, and steps you've perfromed during the restore.

Thank you.
anton101101
Novice

Post by anton101101 »

Hi,

Hypervisor: ESXI v6
VM OS: Ubuntu 16.04
Disk Layout:
Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 128 1048703 1048576 512M EFI System
/dev/sda2 1048704 82968703 81920000 39.1G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda3 82968704 99379327 16410624 7.8G Linux swap
VM Virtual Hardware: i5-5250U, 4GB Ram
Backup Job:
Mode: Entire Machine
Destination: NAS shared folder (CIFS) Restore Points 14

Backup Process: I pretty much followed the blog post. So started VEEAM "GUI" choose configure backup input the details like above then start the backup right away watched the backups progress on screen no problems appeared and closed the GUI after 100% success.

Restore Process: Create new VM with same hardware spec and virtual disk size to run the restore on. Booted up the recovery media, chose Restore volumes, choose to restore volume from shared folder, select Backup.vbm then select the backup date and then choose to Restore whole disk from sda (sda1, sda2, sda3)
then when I have selected that device it creates the partition table on the current system (Partition screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/FmsGSJm.png ) then I start the restore. Again I watch the process which no errors appear ( Success screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/lZcVVPx.png ) from there I reboot the VM which will then loop at the PXE boot and then say No operating system found.

Logs and dmesg output: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kasuncywahuazqg/veam.zip?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
anton101101
Novice

Post by anton101101 »

Issue resolved.

Installed a new build of VEEAM carried out the same process then restored to the VM within Veeam.

ESXI Problem:
To resolve this problem I configured the new VM on ESXI for the which restore was going on to as an EFI system opposed to the default BIOS as the source system was EFI. During the restore the new build did warn the first time that it wasn't EFI system.