Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
gaia
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eddie

Simplest Windows Manager For A Single Machine Agent

Post by gaia »

I need assistance selecting the proper product(s) for a simple install.

I would like to backup a single Ubuntu 18.04 server (physical hardware) to a local secondary HD on the same machine. I installed Veeam Agent for Linux (free) on this machine.

I would like to manage the backups of the Linux machine from Windows 10.

I downloaded "Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition" (seems likely the proper solution) and "Veeam ONE Community Edition" (won't let me manager backups but at least I will be able to monitor their status).

I would give them both a try, but they are both ISOs - I am not deploying an entire machine just to run the backup management/monitoring tool.

Question: whats the smallest/simplest agent manager tool I should install on the Windows machine? Desktop apps are not usually delivered via ISO.

Thank you
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Simplest Windows Manager For A Single Machine Agent

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Eddie,

If you want to remotely manage Veeam Agents, then you need to create a protection group in Veeam B&R and then create a backup job for this group. To receive alerts and create reports on backup job states you will need to use Veeam ONE.

If you're planning to protect only 1 computer, then just go with Veeam B&R Community Edition, as it also provides basic monitoring capabilities too.

P.S. installing Veeam Agent standalone (not managed) is not required in this scenario.

Thanks!
gaia
Influencer

Post by gaia »

thanks Vitaliy! I have B&R installed

I get this error when I try to add the linux standalone machine (agent already installed) to B&R: https://i.imgur.com/hjY93vH.png

The last line in the SSHD log on the remote machine is "Accepted publickey for master from 192.168.1.x port 17838 ssh2: RSA SHA256:xxxx"

"modprobe veeamsnap" on the remove runs fine.

SSH is key based with su, all passwords provided. It asks to accept the fingerprint right away but then it takes a minute to timeout (though the SSH timeout is set to 5000ms)
gaia
Influencer

Post by gaia »

I've fixed the error by adding a dedicated user that logs in with pword for veeam. But this has led to other problems.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Eddie, to troubleshoot the permissions issue, you can try to reach out to our support team. Based on their capacity, they might be able to assist you even for the CE deployment.