Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
biohazard156
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Austin Peters

Unload veeamsnap kernel module Case 02821260

Post by biohazard156 »

we are running into snags doing system functionality when the veeamsnap kernel module is loaded. Every time the veeam backup runs on our RHEL 6.9 physical servers it loads the veeamsnap kernel module but doesnt unload it when its complete. Any modifcations to the logical volumes seem to be useless until the veeamsnap is unloaded. For now i have written a script to unload it but that is just a band-aid to actually fixing the problem. I would think it would be logical to unload it if the agent loads it to start the backup.

An example is doing an lvchange -an to a logical volume. it will note that the logical volume in question is busy even when its not mounted.

Case Number 02821260
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Unload veeamsnap kernel module Case 02821260

Post by PTide »

Hi,

May I ask you to provide more details on your use case? I'm asking because it seems unusual that you select LVM which is not mounted for backup, how do you use it? The problem is that when you unload the module the CBT data is discarded, which causes full rescan on the next run, so unloading the module every time does not seem to be a good idea.

Thanks
biohazard156
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Austin Peters

Re: Unload veeamsnap kernel module Case 02821260

Post by biohazard156 »

my use case is being able to modify logical volume and or there is some software we have that disables and enables logical volumes . The servers are not clustered but it presents like a failover since two machines share the same logical volumes but one keeps it enable and one keeps it disabled . So one server uses it at a time but when the lvchange command is used we are unable to make this change without unloading the vmsnap kernel module.

I know down the road if veeam ever wanted to support clustered servers for backup this is something that will have to be changed since i can name some software that does commands like this with redhat cluster services.