VAL on Linux Gentoo

Backup agent for Linux servers and workstations on-premises or in the public cloud

Re: VAL on Linux Gentoo

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello PTide,

Sorry for the late response, I was out of the office and could not do more testing. So the restore still doesn't work, even though SSH settings are fine and I can SSH from the Veeam server using DNS resolution to the test server:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/livrkaklbl74rpi/VAL%20Restore%20Issue.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yy3wvxyd0kt3mq7/SSH_Settings.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxaxc7pmoe611sr/SSH%20from%20Veeam%20Server.JPG?dl=0

I have taken a packet capture on the test server while doing the restore. Maybe that will help you identify the problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfxg1sonw66vxlt/VAL_restore_capture.pcap?dl=0

As for installing it on my production server, the /lib/modules/ is in place:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gryqduk8863khxu/lib_modules.JPG?dl=0

This is actually Bicom Systems Serverware product version 1.9 Rev 46. (the latest version). I can get you in contact with their systems architect if you want to ask him more detailed questions about the build.

Thanks,

Levi
levente18
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Levi Ilyes

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi,

No problem! :)

So the restore still doesn't work, even though SSH settings are fine and I can SSH from the Veeam server using DNS resolution to the test server
I assume that you use a VM for testing, is that correct? Have you tried to backup the VM using VBR and perform FLR? I'm curious if that would work.

As for installing it on my production server, the /lib/modules/ is in place:
I can clearly see from your screenshot that two symlinks ("build" and "source") are highlighted with red which means that target directories for both of them do not exist.

build is supposed to point to /usr/src/kernels/<your-kernel-version> and source is supposed to point either to build or to /usr/src/kernels/<your-kernel-version> as well. Without kernel sources in place you cannot install the module. If /usr/src/<your-kernel-version> is not present then you should ask the architect where are the kernel sources.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 269 times

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:55 pm

I've done the test you requested and I get the same result. I have tried with two of my Linux production VMs(1 Gentoo and 1 CenOS) and they don't work either. I actually never tried FLR on a Linux VM so I never noticed it not working. It definitely works on Windows VM. So looks like this is not a VAL issue. Do you want me to open a ticket with Veeam support on Linux FLR and see what they say?

As for the kernel stuff, thanks for the pointers. I will forward this to their systems architect and ask him to compile these package. Will update you with the results.

Thanks
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:53 am

Then please check whether all troubleshooting measures mentioned in this article have been taken and contact support if needed.

Thank you
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:02 pm 1 person likes this post

The instructions in the article solved the issue! I was able to successfully restore through the VBR console! All is working as expected! Now all I need to do is deploy it on my production boxes which I will work on with Bicom Systems and will let you know if we have any more questions! Thanks so much for your efforts to get this going! You are awesome! :)

For anyone reading this wanting to set up VAL on a gentoo server, just follow the deployment instructions above and make sure both PermitRootLogin and PasswordAuthentication are set to yes in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the Gentoo server in order for the recover via VBR console works.

Thanks
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Good to know that you've nailed it. Please keep me updated about the progress with Bicom, and don't forget that the software has not been fully tested on Gentoo yet, and I strongly recommend you to take a copy of configuration files of your production server prior to VAL installation.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:01 pm

Will do and noted! Thanks!
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby ndum » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:57 am

After set the right ssh options according to the documentation, everything works also for me.

Is it planned to make Gentoo officially supported? this would be very nice ;)

@PTide Will you update the files in your private link when a new VAL version is coming out?

Thanks you.
ndum
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Is it planned to make Gentoo officially supported?
Currently we don't have such plans on our roadmap.

PTide Will you update the files in your private link when a new VAL version is coming out?
Yes, I'll do that. Also I think we will place those files on a repository later.

Thank you
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Ptide,

Target directories have been fixed on my production server. I still get the same error message as before when I try to build:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iykatscs9h9pode/VAL%20Install%20Issue.JPG?dl=0

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:46 pm

Please go into the directory where your have veeamsnap module sources and execute make all one more time and send me the result. It complained about missing kernel sources, let's see what will happen this time.

Thank you
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:06 pm

levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:12 pm

PTide,

Just wanted to let you know that my systems engineer shed some light on the issue:

Thats because, system you are compiling on is 32 bit and kernel 64bit.
It works, no probleme there, but if you want to compile kernel module you are in trouble.
I will have to do this on the system I compiled kernel. And then send you binary module.

I'm waiting on him to come back with the binary module and see if I can get that working. Will let you know.

Thanks,
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:55 pm

That's interesting...totally forgot about that scenario, looking forward to hear about the results from you.

Thanks!
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Hello PTide,

We managed to compile the veeamsnap into the kernel:

Code: Select all
SNT-CTR-01 ~ # lsmod | grep veeamsnap
veeamsnap             306599  0

I continued with your walkthrough steps and got stuck on the last one when trying to start the service:

SNT-CTR-01 ~ # /usr/sbin/veeamservice -d
-bash: /usr/sbin/veeamservice: No such file or directory
SNT-CTR-01 ~ #
SNT-CTR-01 ~ # /usr/sbin/veeam         
veeamagent    veeamjobman   veeamservice

After invesigating a little further and comparing it to my working system we found the following:

Working system:

VAL-TST-LEVI / # file /usr/sbin/veeamservice
/usr/sbin/veeamservice: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, BuildID[sha1]=d34180b98bba2a6cb2bc52a5c41fb5cbb8c20c6d, stripped

Not working system:

SNT-CTR-01 ~ # file /usr/sbin/veeamservice   
/usr/sbin/veeamservice: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, BuildID[sha1]=d34180b98bba2a6cb2bc52a5c41fb5cbb8c20c6d, stripped

To which my engineers explanation was:

Actual problem is

Requesting program interpreter: /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

This is 32bit system, all tools and libraries. Only kernel is 64bit.
Can you compile 32bit veeam version?

I realize this is a unique situation and a little weird but is there a way you can compile and send me a 32bit version of Veeam?

Thanks
levente18
Influencer

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Linux