VAL on Linux Gentoo

Backup agent for Linux servers and workstations on-premises or in the public cloud

Re: VAL on Linux Gentoo

Veeam Logoby ndum » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi PTide

I have tried to install the Veeam Agent also on a hardened-gentoo.

The following errors are accuring when i compile the modules: (gcc 4.9.3 / 4.9.4, kernel 4.4.2-hardened)

make modules SUBDIRS=drivers/veeamsnap
CC [M] drivers/veeamsnap/mem_alloc.o
cc1: error: incompatible gcc/plugin versions
cc1: error: fail to initialize plugin ./tools/gcc/colorize_plugin.so
cc1: error: incompatible gcc/plugin versions
cc1: error: fail to initialize plugin ./tools/gcc/initify_plugin.so
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:259: drivers/veeamsnap/mem_alloc.o] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:1399: _module_drivers/veeamsnap] Error 2

could you maybe create/publish a new veeam gentoo binary which is also hardened compatible?

Thanks
ndum
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi,
could you maybe create/publish a new veeam gentoo binary which is also hardened compatible?
Due to a large number of existing kernels it is quite problematic to provide a binary for each of them. Moreover, I believe that the problem might not be with the module, but also with the kernel that you use. Kindly contact Gentoo community, let's see what they will say regarding the problem.

I realize this is a unique situation and a little weird but is there a way you can compile and send me a 32bit version of Veeam?
There is no 32-bit version of veeamsnap as well as there is no 64-bit version. Since veeamsnap is distributed as a source code it is bit-agnostic. :)

Although we have plans to investigate the problem, Gentoo is not officially supported and is not on the top of our priorities list, so it might take some time.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 269 times

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 pm

PTide,

I was not asking for a 32 bit version of veemsnap but the actual Veeam software.(there are different from what I understand. At least you have separate folders for them in the RPM). Can you compile a 32 bit version of Veeam?

Thanks
levente18
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Levi Ilyes

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:32 pm

32-bit version of the VAL userspace code are already available. You can download any version you want from:

http://repository.veeam.com/backup/linux/agent/

The original instructions in this thread suggested using the el7 RPM and extracting the binaries from them so simply download the RPM from the i386 directory instead of the x86_64 directory.

http://repository.veeam.com/backup/linu ... el/7/i386/

However, whether 32-bit Veeam binaries will work with a 64-bit kernel module is not certain, but you are welcome to try it.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1819 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks PTide,

I was able to start the 32 bit Veeam and create a job but it fails with the following message:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/730pu7si091r09p/JobFails.JPG?dl=0

Is this something that can be fixed or do I need to run a pure 64bit system and use the original RPM you suggested?

Thanks,
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Please contact our support team directly, send them logs, and post your case ID. Our development team will take a closer look at the setup, however I can't give you any estimates on when the problem will be fixed.

Thank you
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 269 times

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:10 pm

Thank you PTide! I really appreciate you guys' efforts. Case #02079476 was created a few minutes ago. Please keep me posted on your findings. I can provide remote access to the system if necessary. Just let me know.

Thanks,

Levi
levente18
Influencer

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Linux