Veeam Agent for Linux and RHEL 7.5 crash

Backup agent for Linux servers and workstations on-premises or in the public cloud

Re: Veeam Agent for Linux and RHEL 7.5 crash

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed May 16, 2018 10:36 am

Unfortunately I cannot provide you with any estimates except the one that I've mentioned before. The update will be released as soon as our QA team ensures that everything is in place and work stable.

Thank you
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 316 times

Veeam Logoby Riverog » Thu May 17, 2018 2:07 pm

Its been a month since the error was identified. You stated a month for the fix. A month of no backups is significant in a a business. So there is no date on the fix?
Riverog
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Gustavo Rivero

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi Gustavo,

In fact neither me nor anyone else has ever stated that the fix will be released within a month. What was stated 3 weeks ago is that "Support for 7.5 will be introduced in the next VAL update which will take at least a month to be released."

Thank you for your understanding
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun May 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Just to remind here as well, our commitment is to release support for new platform/OS/kernel versions within 90 days of general availability, with the actual historical average time being 2 months, depending primarily on complexity of required fixes. To avoid ending up in situations such as above (having no backup for weeks due to incompatibility), we recommend not to upgrade to new platform/OS/kernel versions before they are officially supported by the corresponding Veeam product. Thank you!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2569 times

Veeam Logoby stevelin » Mon May 21, 2018 1:31 pm

So what does that say about it also not working in the latest updated 7.4 which is fully supported and there is no 90 day wait?!?!
stevelin
Novice

Full Name: Steve Linthicum

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Mon May 21, 2018 2:35 pm 1 person likes this post

Steve, RHEL 7.4 has received the kernel update which causes this issue in the beginning of April. If you don't install this update, RHEL 7.4 systems will continue to work fine. Thanks!
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Architect (VMCA)
http://foonet.be
vmniels
Veeam Software

Liked: 403 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Veeam Logoby ironwolve » Mon May 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Is there maybe a possible workaround? I just migrated to a new nfs server, and experiencing the backup veeam bug now.

Not sure why the client is tied to a kernel or a specific version of redhat/centos.
ironwolve
Lurker

Full Name: B H

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue May 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Not sure why the client is tied to a kernel or a specific version of redhat/centos.

VAL uses its own kernel module to operate, which depends on kernel's internal structures, one of which got modified.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cameltom » Thu May 24, 2018 10:16 am

Hi,

this i can read in the docu:
Prebuilt binaries require kernel >= 2.6.32-131.0.15 for CentOS / RHEL 6 and kernel >= 3.10.0-123 for CentOS / RHEL 7 to function.
For other kernels please install the veeamsnap module using the source rpm package available at the repository.

i downloaded the veeamsnap from this repository ...... with the same error on dkms build!

It's now 6 weeks since this error is well known ...... please let your customers know, when they can get a solution. In this situation i have to think about a backup change to a other solution.
Just because when "Murphy" visit us and we need a restore to a date after 10. April 2018 (!!!) ..... we just are not able to do it ..... it starts really to be a businesses critical issue.

regards
cameltom
Novice

Full Name: Thomas Gächter

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu May 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Current target is mid-June, we will keep you updated if these timelines change - we're trying to accelerate the release by all means possible, but we cannot sacrifice stability testing in particular.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby danswartz » Fri May 25, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks, appreciate the heads-up. I was painfully bitten when I tried installing and running VAL on 3.10.0-862.3.2.el7.x86_64. Everything (apparently) installed okay, yet when I tried to do a backup, the system panicked and rebooted. Ugh...
danswartz
Expert

Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat May 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Keep in mind there's a workaround for those who don't really NEED to use the problematic kernel update for whatever reason, and that is to simply go back to the previously used kernel until the new VAL version is released.

You can list all installed kernels using the following command:
Code: Select all
awk -F\' /^menuentry/{print\$2} /etc/grub2.cfg

Then you can modify /boot/grub2/grubenv by changing the saved_entry to match the kernel you want to load by default.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Linux