Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Glitch
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Glitch

Veeam Agent Linux + High Retention

Post by Glitch »

Hi all,

We currently have a retention problem on one of our jobs from a Linux Veeam Agent.
Because we must have a retention of at least 5 years (Every day saved, 1825 Restore Points) for the saved volume. And unfortunately, there is a limitation in terms of the number of restore points from the agent.

My question, did some (client or integrator) manage to bypass the agent's limitation to reach several years of retention ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent Linux + High Retention

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Glitch,

Any chance you are using Veeam B&R repository as backup target for you linux agent job? Thanks!
Glitch
Influencer

Post by Glitch »

Hi Dima,

Yes, Veeam B&R 9.5 (update 2) and the agent manages the jobs himself.
I thought at the beginning to create a backup copy task to make a copy of the repository each year for example ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

I thought at the beginning to create a backup copy task to make a copy of the repository each year for example ?
Yup, that was my first idea but I was not sure if you are using Veeam B&R or not.
Glitch
Influencer

Post by Glitch »

But unfortunately, the tests do not seem conclusive with the backup copy to keep a retention so long. :/
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I have so many questions... : )

1. What kind of data and applications you run that requires you to keep 5 years of daily backups?

2. What kind of backup that is, is it file-level or volume-level?

3. Any particular reason to stay on VBR Update 2 instead of going to at least U3a or U4? I presume that you might want to update VAL to the most recent version soon, however VAL v3.0 requires at least VBR U4 to operate.

Thanks!
Glitch
Influencer

Post by Glitch »

Hi PTide,

We save the security logs (legal obligation), the logs are stored on a dedicated volume on a Linux machine.
No reason to stay on the U2, but it must be integrated on a pre-production platform before going into production. (And that's my a lot of time ...)