Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
wkl
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: wkl

veeam agent management

Post by wkl »

i use veeam agent to backup linux and window server. However, veeam request admin right to manage agent. as veeam mentioned, visudo will geant all right. Could you please enhance this function? i think agent is already granted root right, i don't hope veeam management server save much root accounts. i hope veeam can call agent as like as tomcat / apache. user no need have root account.

Case # 02515409
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: veeam agent management

Post by nielsengelen »

The VBR server will communicate with the agent to perform the correct steps for a successful backup. We utilize root or a like permissions to perform the backup as else we wouldn't be able to read certain files/folders for a correct backup. In regards to storing the logins, these are encrypted and can't be restored in any way. We are always on the look how to enhance this and will take your feedback into consideration.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

If I got it right, you want Veeam to use root account for agent deployment only and use some other non-root account for management, is that correct? If not, then would you clarify what sort of enhancement do you want to see?

Thank you
wkl
Enthusiast

Post by wkl »

PTide wrote:Hi,

If I got it right, you want Veeam to use root account for agent deployment only and use some other non-root account for management, is that correct? If not, then would you clarify what sort of enhancement do you want to see?

Thank you
Hi,

Yes, i would like to use non-root (Linux) and non-administrators (Window) account to manage veeam agent. Also, we look for veeam solution that do not request any account in veeam's manage credentials. it is because, it will cause we confuse
on the concern of security and management .

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Also, we look for veeam solution that do not request any account in veeam's manage credentials.
I'm not sure that I understand. How would you expect Veeam to manage agents without credentials at all? Please elaborate.

Thanks
wkl
Enthusiast

Post by wkl »

Hi,

For example, when we use browser to visit other websites, user do not know Apache/tomcat/iis password.
For example , hp data protector / netbackup server do not request client password.
We hope veeam agent can provide some tcp scoket feature that allow management server to control, not just SSH to client. Veeam agent is enabled with root permission automatically. I think veeam can do it.
wkl
Enthusiast

Post by wkl »

Hi Veeam,

Also, Could you please provide workaround in this moment? such as visudo some program, instead of ALL in visudo file.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

As far as I know, the list of sudo commands (like this one, for example) for agent management has not been defined yet, however our support team might have some insights on the subjects. The NOPASSWD thing is planned for fixing in the future version.

Thanks
wkl
Enthusiast

Post by wkl »

PTide wrote:As far as I know, the list of sudo commands (like this one, for example) for agent management has not been defined yet, however our support team might have some insights on the subjects. The NOPASSWD thing is planned for fixing in the future version.

Thanks
Hi,

Is it will be released on veeam 10?

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

It is safe to say it will be there not later than in v10.

Thanks
wkl
Enthusiast

Post by wkl »

PTide wrote:It is safe to say it will there not later than in v10.

Thanks
Hi,

Thanks. One more question: is this enhancement included veeam agent for Linux and windows?

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

It does not apply to Windows Agent, because sudo users and NOPASSWD option is do not exist in Windows environment.

Thanks
wkl
Enthusiast

Post by wkl »

PTide wrote:It does not apply to Windows Agent, because sudo users and NOPASSWD option is do not exist in Windows environment.

Thanks

Hi,

I hope veeam can provide permission enhancement for window server, such as bundle tcp scoket /http web services. We hope our backup server is no need administrator/ root password.

Thanks and regards
Dennis