Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

2.0 Beta and backup of Azure DC

Post by DaveWatkins »

Has anyone tried using the 2.0 Agent beta to backup an Azure based domain controller?

We're just starting to look at moving some workload to Azure and I figured it would be the easiest thing to use to test backups but every time I try to run a backup with the agent I get this error

Failed to enable DC SafeBoot mode Default OS loader not found

and the VSS Snapshot fails. I have loaded the trial license and the agent has a server license assigned. It doesn't seem to matter it I do Application Aware backups or not it always fails with this error.

Am I doing something wrong somewhere?

Thanks
Taran
Veeam Software
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Taran

Re: 2.0 Beta and backup of Azure DC

Post by Taran »

Hi Dave,
This looks similar to what's described in: Endpoint Backup. Backup of the Domain Controller
They also encountered an error backing up an Azure DC, there is workaround listed.
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

Assuming the workaround you mention is to create the Backup folder, it was mentioned that would be fixed before Endpoint went GA, and that was Endpoint 1.5 GA and this is 2.0 Beta so I'm assuming that would be fixed anyway, but even after creating the folder I still get the same error sadly.

My error looks quite different too as VSS is failing because, seemingly, the Agent can't detect how to make the VM boot into safe mode/AD restore mode for when a restore happens, presumably because there is no system partition in Azure VM's.

FYI this is a Win2012R2 VM

I'll log a ticket next week and see what that turns up

Thanks
Dave
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Dave,

Yes, best would be to create a support case and then post the case ID here and the follow-up. That will be the easiest way to get it solved. Our engineers can crawl through the logs and figure out what is happening

Thanks
Mike