Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
testerbob
Novice
Liked: never

Access denied when trying to backup over Windows share

Post by testerbob »

*** I can't post a support case ID because I don't have a license so I can't submit a ticket. I know, I tried ***
I think this used to work but the latest release I know doesn't. Having this fail now on multiple machines. Using Veeam Agent version 3.0.2.1170 and trying to backup over a network share fails with "Access is denied. Failed to crate or open file". I know the path is correct because I pulled it straight off the share. This is a major problem!!!

Also, selecting the "Browse" button for network folder has never worked on any versionand still doesn't. I've tested this on over 50 machines. Can't browse a network. I've reported that before and they said it was going to be fixed. That was a year ago. Selecting Browse throws the error... Loading devices... The network location can not be reached.

I really like and appreciate this software but after a couple of years of waiting for fixes I'm feeling like I need to move to a different solution. I have really considered deploying Veeam software in my server environment but when I see these kinds of problems persist for such a long time its pretty easy to tell the sales guys no.
testerbob
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Access denied when trying to backup over Windows share

Post by testerbob »

After my previous post, I thought I'd try and find a case where backing up over a network share did work. And I did. Seems to work on Win7 to Server 2012 but still can't a case where it work on Windows10 to any kind of share.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Re: Access denied when trying to backup over Windows share

Post by Moebius »

I had the same problem on a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro v.1903 and VAW 3.0.2.1170.
I was trying to use the same user/password/NAS/share that I had been using for years with Windows 7 and VAW 2.x. I used this user/password in Windows 10 install, so it resulted to be the only user/admin in the OS ("Administrator" being disabled by default).

After creating a new user on the NAS, giving it R/W rights to the share, and using it in VAW, it worked instantly. Note that in VAW the notation <hostname>/<user> should be used.