Active Full Backups and "when backup target is connected"

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Active Full Backups and "when backup target is connected"

Veeam Logoby guebert » Tue May 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Hallo!

Can anyone explain to me, how retention and scheduled active full backups work when using the trigger "when backup target is connected" and 2 rotating HDDs?

So I do it like this:

Server Win2008r2 (very small workgroup)

HDD-even - is being connected each Tuesday in weeks with "even weeknumber" (2, 4, 6, ... 52)
HDD-odd - is being connected each Tuesday in weeks with "odd weeknumber" (1, 3, 5, ... 51)

I set "keep backup for the last 10 days". So on each (!?) HDD there will be 1 full backup and 9 inc backups --> I have data of the last 20 weeks back. Right?

This was my setting with VEB 1.5

With VAW there is a feature to get periodically full backups. Now I want periodically full backups (eg every three month) to prevent data corruption.

When I set this option to "monthly, first Tuesday" on Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct what happens to the HDD which is connected on the second Tuesday in these months? What if the first Tuesday of these month is always in a week with odd number? Will there be no active full backup on the other HDD?

Many thanks for every reply!

Michael
guebert
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Re: Active Full Backups and "when backup target is connected

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed May 31, 2017 5:46 am

Michael,

You are correct to my knowledge. There will not be an active full backup on the other HDD if it is always in a week with odd number. But on that other HDD you still have a full backup (the first one, plus those 9 incremental ones) but I understand that you want to prevent data corruption.

Is it an option for you to manually trigger an active full when the second disk is attached?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby guebert » Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am 1 person likes this post

Is it an option for you to manually trigger an active full when the second disk is attached?

Is there an alternative? ;-)

I suggest to redesign the GUI for "backups on connection of HDDs":

- Keep x number of backups (depends on connections)
- additional optional (!) setting: at least x days (not only when the PC was running, but absoltely)

eg: Keep 10 last states, at least all Backups of the last 2 month (eg when I connect the HDD three times a week, not only 10 states, but maybe 3 x 4,33 = 13 states are kept

- Make active full backup after x incremental backups (calculated per chain!)

In my case eg set it to "5" - so when I connect HDD1 for the sixth time, a full backup is being made.

Michael
guebert
Influencer

Veeam Logoby dheijl » Wed May 31, 2017 12:02 pm

I suggest to redesign the GUI for "backups on connection of HDDs":

+1 for the suggestions on GUI redesign. Much clearer.
dheijl
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Danny Heijl

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:57 am

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen! Much appreciated. Our DEV's are reading this and certainly will bring it to the discussion table! (But that doesn't mean it will make the next version ;-))
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:01 pm

So on each (!?) HDD there will be 1 full backup and 9 inc backups

Yes.
I set this option to "monthly, first Tuesday" on Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct what happens to the HDD which is connected on the second Tuesday in these months?

Active full should be created next time when you attach your backup target
- Keep x number of backups (depends on connections)

Retention based on restore points is available in Server edition. Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby guebert » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:47 am

Dima P. wrote:Active full should be created next time when you attach your backup target

So VAW 2.0 does check for each connected external HDD, if the scheduled active backup has been made since the scheduled day?

Retention based on restore points is available in Server edition. Thanks.

So this would be new. Because in the past, VEP did not calculate "days" but "backups after connection". When I set it should keep backups of the last 10 days, I had 10 Backups, regardless when I connected the HDD.

This is what I meant when suggesting to redesign the GUI for backups on special events (lock of screen, connection of backup repository, etc).

Michael
guebert
Influencer

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows