Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
johannesr
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Johannes

Agent always backs up full disks

Post by johannesr »

Greetings,

I am backing up my personal computer at home with the Agent 2.2.0.589. I have a 500GB SSD to boot, and a 4TB disk for all my photos and stuff. a Second 4TB disk (internal) serves as backup target. Whatever I am doing, the backup always takes 6-8h, whatever I am doing. Earlier my target was an external USB3 hdd, backups tool even longer. I do not have too much data that changes, except when I import a bunch of new photos from a shooting, but that occurs not often.

Am I wrong, or should the Agent be aqble to do something like CBT on physical machines too? I am using free, but would upgrade if the paid version would be significantly faster...

Regards
Johannes
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Agent always backs up full disks

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Johannes.

Any chance you are running file level backup mode (check the backup mode in Backup Job properties)? Thanks!
johannesr
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Johannes

Post by johannesr »

Dear Dima,

I am running disk level mode. The speed is fine, read speeds varying around 180 MB/s.... but with 3TB this is still a long task...
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Johannes,

I suppose this is due to the HDD storage you use as a backup target (please correct me if i'm wrong). Even Free Agent makes incremental backups after a single full, but of course, it depends on the retention policy and your Active Full backups schedule.

CBD driver that is a part of the server edition is designed for delivering better backup performance, but I'm not sure it would help here since the target storage may be the bottleneck in your case.

Hope this helps!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

If you suspect the read speed to be low I would recommend checking the source and target load during incremental backup execution. You may use Resource Monitor to achieve that.

Regards,
Fedor