Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Fumihito Natsume
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Fumihito Natsume

agent cannot recognize the volume formatted ext4 connected via iSCSI/FC

Post by Fumihito Natsume »

Hi
im tring to get backup of the volume formatted with linux(ext4) connected via iSCSI/FC.
the iSCSI/FC volume contains two partitions, such as ext4 and unformatted(RAW) one.
i set the backup job as "entire computer" that maight contain the volume which is formatted ext4.
acctually, i can backup the partition that recognized as RAW, but ext4.
i can see the prtition ext4 as "Normal; Primary Partition" on Disk Management at windows desktop console.

Are there any way to backup ext4 volume with Veeam Agent for MS Windows, like unformatted volume are taken.

thanks,
F.Natsume
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: agent cannot recognize the volume formatted ext4 connected via iSCSI/FC

Post by Mildur »

Hello Fumihito

Not sure why the RAW partition gets protected, but we only support the following file systems with Veeam Agent for Windows:
- FAT32/exFAT, NTFS, ReFS

May I ask, why you want to connect a Linux volume to a windows machine? Just connect your iSCSI volume to a Linux machine and use our Veeam Agent for Linux to protect it's content.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Fumihito Natsume
Novice

hi Fabian
thanks for your reply.
actually, i knew that Veeam Agent for windws supported only FAT32/exFAT, NTFS, ReFS,
but i wondered if i had some ways to get backup them like the backup of unformatted(RAW) i did before.
for an avoidable situation, i have to take backup with minimal change of this envirnoment; with no linux machines.
"with no llinux machines" is only the reason that i have to try the useless way.

iv tryed to get backup the volume that i connected via WSL command, but i hasnt seemed to be going well.

i know that "Get a Linux machine with agent, and try to backup with its agent." is the best/only way to solve this probrem, as u say.
just i wanderd if had some other ways to try to get them.

thank you very much for your help.
i u have any ideas, plese let me know

best regards!
Fumihito Natsume
Novice

Hello Fabian

Fumihito, agein.
iv foggeten to tell you that the linux server didnt have backup network.
so, we planed to prepare a windows VBR server that have backup network, connect the volumes linux sever formatted as ext4 to the windows,
and backup them with Windows Agent.

thanks.
regard