Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
skilful
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: skilful

Agent Feature with SSD

Post by skilful »

Hello.

Could You please tell me answer about the following question.

I want to backup data (few directories) from SSD disk. Then to copy them via the network to the storage with HDD (shared directory).
The planning shedule of this process is 1 time at day.
The size of the backup directories is about 10 GB.
My SSD disk has a little size -- about 40 GB (it is virtual) and not at any RAID.

Will the Veeam Agent to do backup image (shadow copy) on the SSD and after that send it via the network ? Or may be Agent will send it directly via the network with using RAM for it?

I have this question because for example: some Silicon Power SSD have TBW about 40 TB.
Will the creation of backup image and send image via the network will kill SSD very fast ?

Thank You.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Agent Feature with SSD

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Yes, the Veeam Agent for Windows allows to send backups direct to an SMB share https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50

The agent only reads changed data (except for log files etc.). So the TBW is irrelevant from my point of view.

Best regards,
Hannes
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Agent Feature with SSD

Post by Dima P. »

Hello skilful,
Will the Veeam Agent to do backup image (shadow copy) on the SSD and after that send it via the network ?
During the backup Veeam Agent will create VSS snapshot (most likely it will be stored on your SSD disk), then read the needed data via the snapshot, send data to the set destination. When backup is done - snapshot is removed.
Will the creation of backup image and send image via the network will kill SSD very fast ?
Been using SSD + file share destination for a several years not - works like magic.