Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
DeanCTS
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dean Anderson

Agent Too Slow

Post by DeanCTS »

Hey guys, got any idea why is the Veeam Backup Agent so slow, I'm getting 2MB/s on a Samsung NVMe disk behind fiber optic of high quality 500Mbit/s. I'm backing up to OneDrive.

How could it be so terribly slow?

Also, as an icing to the cake, I'm failing each backup with:

6/16/2021 4:05:40 AM :: Error: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [39660]. Failed to download disk.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Agent Too Slow

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dean,
I'm backing up to OneDrive.
That's the reason and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it. OneDrive has it's own throttling logic and it's simply does not allow Veeam Agent to upload data faster. I'd recommend to look for another backup target (external drive/nas or Cloud Connect repository) as we plan to cut the support for OneDrive destination in the next major version. Hope that helps!
DeanCTS
Service Provider

Post by DeanCTS »

That's such a shame.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Well, clearly OneDrive was not built for image-level backups. The good news is we will provide an option to backup direct to object storage instead, which is much more performant and scalable. You should expect 50-100x improvement with that ;)
DeanCTS
Service Provider

Post by DeanCTS »

The new error displayed is even worse.

6/21/2021 10:12:32 PM :: Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot collect writers metadata. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Gather metadata]. Code: [0x80042302].

Where can I find the download link for newest version of this crap?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

I'm sorry, but what crap are you talking about?