Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tahoo
Novice
Liked: never

Agent Windows free + VBR with licens

Post by tahoo »

Hi Veeam forum :-)

I would like to create external/offsite backup for some server and desktop true the free Veeam Windows Agent software.
I will like to use the VBR as backup destination, for all the server / desktop.
(I know that the server/desktop will be unmanaged from VBR, and only mangement direct from the klient server or desktop.)

I cut use the VBR Community Edition, but that will "only" allow 10 server/desktop, Unfortunately, that's not enough.

So here are my questions :-)

1.)
I've read somewhere if I buy a socket license for VBR eg "Veeam Backup Essentials".
Then a unlimited number of "Veeam Agent for windows Free" will be able to connect to the VBR, and use the VBR as an unmanaged backup destination.
Can someone confirm that ?

2.)
Since my clients (server/desktop) is external, I will need to open up my firewall for port TCP 10001, in order for my agent to connect/backup to the VBR server. And my client don´t have static IP, so I must open TCP 10001 Worldwide.
Is port TCP 10001 secure/safe enough for that ?
Is the traffic running on this port 10001 encrypted, as eg. TCP-443 HTTPS ?

3.)
Can the "File level backup" run with CBT ? or is that only the images backup that can do that ?
For faster "File level backup" on large files.

Thanks for you help.!

/Simon
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Agent Windows free + VBR with licens

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Simon.
I've read somewhere if I buy a socket license for VBR eg "Veeam Backup Essentials". Then a unlimited number of "Veeam Agent for windows Free" will be able to connect to the VBR, and use the VBR as an unmanaged backup destination. Can someone confirm that ?
With socket-based licensed installed on Veeam B&R you can target unlimited number of free agents to Veeam B&R repository. Additionally you can use backup copy jobs and file to tape jobs with agent-based backup.
Since my clients (server/desktop) is external, I will need to open up my firewall for port TCP 10001, in order for my agent to connect/backup to the VBR server. And my client don´t have static IP, so I must open TCP 10001 Worldwide. Is port TCP 10001 secure/safe enough for that ? Is the traffic running on this port 10001 encrypted, as eg. TCP-443 HTTPS ?
Please check the full list of required ports described in this Help Center article Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 3.0 - Used Ports. Overall you are the one to decide if that's secure or not for your organization.

Please keep in mind that we have a better way to protect roaming devices - Veeam Cloud Connect. To cut the long story short it allows you to ship backup files to the cloud repository over WAN via single connection point - Cloud Gateway. You can either find the service provider who will provide you dedicated cloud repository as a service or, maybe, build you own Cloud Connect infrastructure.
Can the "File level backup" run with CBT ? or is that only the images backup that can do that ?
For faster "File level backup" on large files.
File level backup does not provide CBT capabilities on a block level, instead it process entire file version whenever the file has been modified. For large files it's recommend to use image-based backup (i.e. volume level or entire computer backup mode), as it provides block level CBT, so only the changed blocks are processed during incremental job run. Hope it helps!
tahoo
Novice

Post by tahoo »

Hi Dima

Thanks for your reply.

Can I use Veeam Cloud Connect with the free Windows Agent and the socket base VBR ?

Okay more than port 10001 <-- thanks.
If I not use the "Veeam Cloud Connect", are the data that is running true the open ports encrypted.
Or is the data send i plain tekst ? Or is the data send in "plain text"

Thanks
tahoo
Novice

Post by tahoo »

Hi

Can I use Veeam Cloud Connect with the free Windows Agent and the socket base VBR ?

Okay more than port 10001 <-- thanks.
If I not use the "Veeam Cloud Connect", are the data that is running true the open ports encrypted.
Or is the data send i "plain text" ?

Thanks
asdffdsa6131
Expert
Liked: 24 times

Post by asdffdsa6131 » 1 person likes this post

hello,
1. it is not safe to open ports over the internet. if anyone suggests that to you, then you know not to trust their advice.
2. you should setup a vpn, for example, veeam offers a FREE vpn named veeampn, which has specific features for disaster recovery.
3. you do not need to use VBAR, veeam backup and replication, instead have the agents connect to a file server, over vpn.

here is what i do:
my solution is FREE, VERY simple and works well over a vpn and copying to cloud and does not require veeam backup and replication.

for vpn, i use the FREE veeampn.
the server is microsoft's FREE windows 2019 hyper-v server, with a simple file share per computer and run veeampn vpn as a virtual machine.

i use this procedure on over 25+ computers/servers spread out over the internet.

i do a daily incremental and a monthly full.
for each computer, i schedule each monthly full on a different day, so never more then one .vbk to copy per day.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello asdffdsa6131,

Indeed building VPN instead of opening required ports to the internet is a much safer approach, thank you for sharing your setup - glad to hear how nicely Veeam PN works with Veeam Agents! Cheers!
asdffdsa6131
Expert
Liked: 24 times

Post by asdffdsa6131 »

sure,
let me know if you have any questions and i will reply