Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
SirOssy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Oswald

Alternative/optional backup intervals

Post by SirOssy »

Hello,
I would like to backup in Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition only max once a month. Currently I find only daily or I can specify a day a week. It would be great if I could also have the option to create the incremental backup e.g. on every first of the month or every 14 days e.g. Sundays. Then every 3 or 6 months a full backup. This option extension would be great.
Thanks SirOssy
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Alternative/optional backup intervals

Post by veremin »

You can leave a job unscheduled and run it with PowerShell via Windows Scheduler on whatever basis you want to. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Michael, you can find more scheduling options at the corresponding step of the job wizard.
SirOssy
Novice

Post by SirOssy »

Hello!
@veremin: Thank you! That would work, in the program as an option I would find it nicer.
@foggy: In the free version "Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition" there are unfortunately only the options:
Periodically
Daily at Everyday
On week-days
On these days >> Choose days

I hope the Veeam developers will add these options. I still hope that it will happen ;-)
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Michael,

I don't see issues creating the described configuration with the current version, Community Edition.

You should select "Monthly at this time" with the "This day" option, then choose a date and desired months, then configure active full backup to be run on a specific day (in the same fashion), but only during specific months three or two times a year.

Keep in mind that this approach is far from being ideal as RPO may be way too high, meaning that in the case of a DR you may lose a significant piece of data because the last backup you have is ~30 days old. At least weekly backups with monthly full backups would be much more reliable.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

there are unfortunately only the options
Are you saying that there is no monthly option available in the job schedule settings - the ones described by Alexander and Fedor? If so, can you post a screenshot of schedule step? Thanks.
SirOssy
Novice

Post by SirOssy »

@veremin: Yes, I would like to say that. I will post the screenshot of the free version "Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition".

@wishr: I understand what you want to say. Since my computer is used privately, I also use the free version "Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition". The Windows 10/7 own backup tool was too annoying for me. However, I back up to an external USB hard drive. This is not permanently on my PC. Therefore, I would prefer longer intervals. My data growth is usually manageable. I also use a cloud hosted in Germany as an additional backup. There are then again the daily updated data. Veeam is for me for the restore of the Windows machine and as an additional emergency backup there. I would therefore welcome an intermediate backup (incremental) every 14 days or always on a certain day of the month (e.g. the 1st/15th or First Sunday of the month), so that I do not always get the error message about the failed job. A full backup would then be sufficient for me accordingly every 3-6 months. In the paid version, the function is probably also available.

I hope times further on an extension of the possible options ;-)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Aren't you confusing Veeam Backup and Replication with Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Free? Thanks!
SirOssy
Novice

Post by SirOssy »

@veremin: No I have always been talking about the "Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition".

With the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Free, I can include free clients in the interface via the paid Veeam. I really mean the single client solution "Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition". Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

But what workloads are you protecting there? Virtual or Physical Machine? Aren't you talking about scheduling settings for agent workstation backup job (which has only these daily settings)? Thanks!
SirOssy
Novice

Post by SirOssy »

It's a physical pc with windows 10. no vmware or other virtual machine.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can configure a job with server job mode, this gives access to more scheduling options. Thanks.
SirOssy
Novice

Post by SirOssy »

Hello everyone,
I think I know why we keep talking past each other. I use the "Standalone Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows" and not the "Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition". Sorry.
I would like to have the options then of course in the "Standalone Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows" version.
Can an admin move the post to the correct category then?
Thanks a lot.
SirOssy
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello SirOssy,

Veeam Agent for Windows Free edition provides only daily schedule but you can create a Windows task scheduler task to setup the job at any schedule you want. You can copy the job start command line from the summary step of the job configuration.