Any way to Validate a Backup?

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Any way to Validate a Backup?

Veeam Logoby Technogod » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Backups are different so it would not work.
Technogod
Enthusiast

Liked: 13 times

Veeam Logoby James99 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks for the info.
James99
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: James Alston

Veeam Logoby yasuda » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:43 pm 1 person likes this post

If there were a way to run a test from command line, even if it were a very simple test that at least verifies the backup files are in a condition that allows them to be restored, that would be great. As Carlton suggested, run the restore to /dev/null ($null or nul). There will be no guarantee that there is no file level corruption, but it's a lot better than nothing.
yasuda
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Veeam Logoby Technogod » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:37 am

Currently the only way to test is to run a FLR unless you are running B&R. B&R has a health check.
Technogod
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby RobinW » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:05 am 1 person likes this post

+1 for backup validation.

I backup a critical HTPC via 2 methods:
Via Veeam to its own partition on a separate internal HDD
Via Veeam to its own partition on an external USB HDD
Via Macrium Reflect to its own partition on the same internal HDD as the 1st Veeam Backup
Via Macrium Reflect to its own partition on the same external USB HDD as the 2nd Veeam Backup
That's 2 products across 2 disks, just to be sure.

This last weekend the boot SSD barfed. Neither of the Veeam backups would restore (LZ4 decompression errors and another "CRC can't read from source disk" or something similar). Weird thing was that I ran a restore several times and I would get this error in a different place each time. First was at 7%, the next at 27%. I never got past 30%.

I can't help thinking that an ability to validate the backup (without having to do a trial restore onto yet another disk/partition) would have solved at least one of these issues. All these backups happen in the middle of the night and the validation should be part of the backup process, not the restore process - which is kinda too late!

I was trialing Veeam as an alternative to Reflect. However restoring from one of the Reflect clones worked 100%.

RobinW
RobinW
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Robin Whitaker

Veeam Logoby chaycock » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:05 pm 1 person likes this post

It sure seems like to me there is a bug or something in the veeam backup, merge, or restore process.
This seems to happen quite a bit, just that no one has been posting about until others started.

There really is no excuse not to have verification functionality built in..every other backup solution I have used (free or otherwise) has had it.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Full Name: Carlton Haycock

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi folks,

Wanted to let you know that we noted this required as a potential improvement for the next versions. Most likely it’s going to be a part of Veeam B&R functionality (i.e. SureBackup)
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 449 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby chaycock » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:42 pm 1 person likes this post

It really needs to be included in VAW as well and should not be difficult to do as I'm fairly certain the code can be used in both places.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:31 pm 1 person likes this post

We'll think about the way to validate backup files on the agent's end as well. Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 449 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby RubinCompServ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:08 pm 1 person likes this post

Here's another vote for backup validation from VAW.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Veeam Logoby James99 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 pm

Honestly, I doubt Veeam see it as a priority. There have been request for this feature dating back to January 2015 - veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/feature-request-backup-validation-t25320.html. As a software dev I find it hard to believe that an in-memory "pretend" restore that at least checks the validity of the backup files is so difficult to implement that it takes all this time to code if it was something Veeam saw as important.

I cannot rely on a backup system that cannot be either validated or even tested (without installing a spare internal drive for the purpose). Veeam Agent has great potential, but as a proper backup solution it is does not meet this basic requirement of backup software - If you cannot validate a backup then just how many copies of a backup do you judge to be necessary? Two? Five? Twenty? Without validation you are playing with probability and statistics - every one of those could be faulty; there is no way to know otherwise. Veeam seem to be enterprise-focused, for which they do provide validation functionality. That is absolutely fine as a business model. But they have decided to also target single-user PCs and they do not seem to appreciate what is required for a reliant single PC backup solution. A single workstation PC nowadays can host data that is just as valuable/more valuable as the total data held on the PCs of an entire office, or on a server. For this sole reason, the lack of ability to validate a backup, I've now switched to alternative software that can.
James99
Influencer

Veeam Logoby chaycock » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Agree with above post....there is not really any reason it should take anywhere near this long....it apparently is not really a priority.

>the lack of ability to validate a backup, I've now switched to alternative software that can.

...just curious, what did you switch to?
chaycock
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby James99 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:53 am

Hi Carlton. I had been using True Image for a few years (version 2016 and previous ones) but switched to Veeam last year as TI kept having connection problems to my removable USB hard drive, requiring a new chain to be started every couple of weeks or so. TI also gets its scheduling in a twist sometimes when you add/change a job, requiring faffing around in a command line utility they supply for editing the job schedule. So plenty of frustrations with TI. But the backup itself seems fine and you can set it to validate either after each backup or on a schedule of your choice (and you can also validate from a menu option). So for now I've switched back to TI.

Somewhere there must be decent single-PC software that backs up, validates, and isn't a hassle to use. Veeam Agent could be that if they add multiple jobs (coming soon they say, good news) and validation. I will gladly switch back to Veeam at that point.
James99
Influencer

Veeam Logoby chaycock » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:01 pm 1 person likes this post

TI was absolutely terrible, I switched off of it years ago. That is the worst piece of crap I have ever used. I was hoping you had found the 'perfect' solution...lol
chaycock
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby James99 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Haha! :) I agree. I have managed to get TI working for me in a limited way (and validating) but I could never recommend it to anyone!
James99
Influencer

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows