Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

B&R Console view not representing reality

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I have several VAW servers backing up to my Backup and Replication repository. I'm using the B&R console to keep an eye on them and know if any of them have problems.

One server I had heard had crashed and was awaiting being replaced, but when I looked in the console, I saw that the "Last Result" column showed Success and "Next Run" showed the upcoming evening. Since this matched all of my other servers, I thought nothing of it. As days went on, this status always stayed the same until I clicked on the job in the console and saw that it last ran 2 weeks ago and the server was indeed offline that entire time.

Since these jobs are one to one for a physical server that should be phoning home regularly, I think the console should have given better information that this server was offline and not actually being backed up. The Next Run should have changed to Not Scheduled if the VM missed a backup interval and never phoned home. Or the Status should have changed to "Missed" or something to indicate that while it was scheduled, it did not actually backup.

Glancing at the list of servers, everything looked fine, but without clicking on each job individually to see what the last backup date is, I under the impression that things were current and protected, which they were not.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: B&R Console view not representing reality

Post by Dima P. »

Hello JoshuaPostSAMC,

Thank you for sharing your use case and feedback! Stats in the console are currently updated by agent (so if there is no agent or it’s inactive the information wont update). We will enhance the agent integration with Veeam B&R soon. Check this thead for more details.