Backing up a file server?

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Backing up a file server?

Veeam Logoby mcsmithSOP » Sun May 31, 2015 4:08 pm

Our company is switching from BE to Veeam for our virtual environment. The original plan was to continue to use BE for the physical servers. One of them is a WS 2012 R2 file server with approximately 2.5TB of data spread across multiple volumes on different arrays.

Is it recommended to use VEB in this situation?

I've read the user manual (twice), and the only downside I can see is having a very long backup chain based on 28 day retention policy.

Having suffered catastrophic array failure on a previous file server, I want to be absolutely sure that we will be able to recover specific volume(s) in case of failure.
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jason

Re: Backing up a file server?

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun May 31, 2015 11:10 pm

Hello,

I do not foresee any issues if it is just a file server machine. During beta program we had one customer using VEB to backup/restore his file server and he didn't experience any issues with that.

Can you please clarify what the retention policy downside is?

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:04 am

Hi,

To give some more detail on what Vitaliy S. said. It indeed should not be a problem. We had a customer who did more than 15 TB. The thing that took long was the merge of an old recovery point that was past the retention.

That said, a few things you can think on:

* Why not put a shorter retention of a week, use a B&R repository and then use a backup copy job on that data to another repository or tape or... for a longer retention? If you are planning on following are known 3-2-1 rule, this could help you a lot and "offload" resources from your file-server to the backup server.

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby mcsmithSOP » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:04 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Can you please clarify what the retention policy downside is?

My understanding is that I would have one .vbk (full) and 27 .vib (incremental) files that would need to be restored. Maybe it's because we're still backing it up to tape and since I can't imaging having to grab a month's worth of tape for restore, I just need to wrap my head around D2D.

Mike Resseler wrote:* Why not put a shorter retention of a week, use a B&R repository and then use a backup copy job on that data to another repository or tape or... for a longer retention? If you are planning on following are known 3-2-1 rule, this could help you a lot and "offload" resources from your file-server to the backup server.

Thanks for the idea. This would make more sense (for this server) than keeping 28 days worth of data on the B&R reepository.
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jason

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi mcsmithSOP,
... I just need to wrap my head around D2D

14 days of backups with forever incremental backup is the default for backup to disk jobs and the most preferable retention but you can make it even shorter :wink:
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 441 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows