Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
horaceho
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Horace

backup a physical server volume that's on storage

Post by horaceho »

Hi all,

it's someone have solutions on Agent server backup, that's volume was a LUN from 3par storage? we want to find a solution that can use the veeam storage snapshot for the physical agent backup. anyone can help? thank you.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: backup a physical server volume that's on storage

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings, Horace.

Veeam Agent for Windows should work just fine with FC\iSCSI presented LUNs to the server, using native Microsoft VSS snapshots.
Have you tried to run the backup yet?

Note, that Veeam Backup from SAN Snapshots functionality is used for VM Protection only, where SAN LUNs hold virtual machine disks(*.vmdk), rather than raw data.

/Thanks!
horaceho
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Horace

Post by horaceho »

Thanks, Egor,

I had tried Veeam Agent backup with FC presented LUNs volume drive , but the performance not so good, compared with Data Protector backup the same volume (2Tb size) DP need 5 hrs to physical LTO tapes and Veeam needs 12 Hrs to 3PAR Storage.

maybe Veeam was a low interruption on System.

but I had 24 share cluster volumes, and the largest up to 4 Tb huge size in one windows 2012 physical file server need to backup, so I'm planing for using storage snapshot and veeam backup for solving the slow performance backup.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi! Thanks for info. Surely that case is worth deeper investigation.
First of all, comparing 2 solutions shall be done in equal environments - not to mention identical hardware\connection types part for target storage, but also the agent settings.
Then, I think it will be best to discuss your data protection requirements with our engineers - I can easily link you with respectful team to have a call? Will that be ok?
/Cheers!