Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
System32
Influencer
Liked: never

Backup and replication server - failed to create recovery media

Post by System32 »

Hello,

I'm trying to create a recovery ISO for a server where Veeam Backup and Replication is running on, but for some reason I always get the message: "failed to create recovery media: Recovery files not found in backup."

I created recovery ISO's for other servers without any issues. Any ideas why this is happening or should I create a support case for this issue?
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Backup and replication server - failed to create recovery media

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Off the top of my head - I can't think of a reason. Here's an older thread:

veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/failed-to-c ... 25956.html

TL/DL/Too lazy to click... Is Anti-Virus preventing the creation?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

System32,

We collect RE components during full backup, so please check the backup session related to that particular machine? What type of backup job you are using (managed by backup server / managed by agent)? Thanks.
System32
Influencer

Post by System32 »

Rick,

We have the same AV running on all servers so that shouldn't be an issue.

Dima,

I'm sorry but I'm not entirely sure what you mean with: "We collect RE components during full backup, so please check the backup session related to that particular machine?"
All backups are managed by backup server.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

System32,

Whenever you protect a host with any type of managed by Veeam B&R job (managed by backup server or managed by agent) and include operating system volume into backup full backup job run will collect and include recovery media components into backup. As a result recovery media creation can be performed centrally via Veeam B&R console. If you cannot create Recovery Media via Veeam B&R console that means either Recovery Media collection has failed during full backup (most likely you will see a notification in backup session) or you did not include the operating system volume as a source.

That said, please check the Operating System is included in the backup and, if its included, double check the last full or active full job run state by going to Home > History node. Cheers!
System32
Influencer

Post by System32 »

Hello Dima, thanks for clearing that up.
For a moment I thought I found the solution because the recovery media creation failed for the one server I didn't create a full backup for, just a volume level backup. But then I found this:

Re: Entire computer vs. volume level backup
Post by Dima P. » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:57 pm
Hi Frank,

Entire PC backup is a volume backup with all the volumes checked by default. It ensures that Bare Metal Restore will work, however you can go for volume level backup and select windows partition and the system partition - that would work too.

I created a volume level backup of the c:\ drive because all the other drives are backup repos. The last result of the full backup was a success so it should work, right?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

True, whenever you select the operating system volume as a source we should collect RE components. If that's a managed by backup server job - try to create a dedicated backup job with this machine added as a source and run first full backup. Once done try to create Recovery Media and let me know how it goes. Cheers!
System32
Influencer

Post by System32 »

I'm afraid that's not an option because the entire server has about 70TB of storage. And I believe there is no option to backup the entire server with certain disk excluded.
The last thing I can try is to create a volume level backup once again and see how that go's. If that's not the solution I will open a case.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

System32,

That should be a full backup job run as incremental job run does not trigger the RE component collection. I vote for opening the support case as we need to identify the root cause anyway and that's not possible without debug logs. Once you have the case ID please share it in this thread. Cheers!
System32
Influencer

Post by System32 »

Case ID: 01626879