Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jrousset
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jerome Rousset

Backup encryption for 1 user

Post by jrousset »

Hello Veeam users,

In my infrastructure, I have a Veeam backup & Replication server, which serves as a repository for veeam Agent for Windows.
My CEO needs his backups to be encrypted. On the VAW settings, I am not able to activate encryption.

How can I do this?

Thanks for your support
jrousset
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jerome Rousset

Re: Backup encryption for 1 user

Post by jrousset »

Here is the message I got from VAW:
Local encryption is not supported for Veeam backup repository.
So my question is: how can user set encryption for backup towards VB&R?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jerome,

If that’s unmanaged agent encryption should be configured on repository level. Go to Backup infrastructure, right click Backup repository and select access permissions.
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Post by Technogod »

Access permissions will limit who can access the repository. That doesn't have anything to do with encryption. You can only select encryption for the repository not the user.

I don't encrypt backups on the default repository because I use a backup copy job to send backups through a WAN accelerator to a remote repository.

Quote From Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 User Guide for Microsoft Hyper-V:
Data encryption has a negative effect on the deduplication ratio if you use a deduplicating storage appliance as a target. Veeam Backup & Replication uses different encryption keys for every job session. For this reason, encrypted data blocks sent to the deduplicating storage appliances appear as different though they may contain duplicate data. If you want to achieve a higher deduplication ratio, you can disable data encryption.