Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pstoric83
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Storic

Backup error

Post by pstoric83 »

Was on a workstation that should have been backing up nightly via Veeam yet I saw the error below. Hasn't backed up since 7/2. I checked the destination and there are no permissions issues. Any ideas why it would fail all of a sudden?

"7/10/2018 1:01:18 PM :: Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: All instances of the storage metadata are corrupted. Failed to download disk. "

Attempting to start from scratch I deleted all the files in the destination folder but then I got this error upon manually attempting a fresh backup "7/10/2018 8:10:36 PM :: Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Discovery phase failed. Cannot start empty snapshot set. VSS error: VSS_E_SNAPSHOT_SET_IN_PROGRESS. Code:0x80042316
"
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Backup error

Post by nielsengelen »

I would advise you to contact support for assistance here.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
pstoric83
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Storic

Re: Backup error

Post by pstoric83 »

That's what I did. Submitted a ticket via the application and a tech replied within the hour. Had to set the reg key below to 1 to do a fresh backup if that helps anyone else.

That is done through adding a registry key and restarting the server.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup
ReCreateDatabase REG_DWORD Boolean 0 Yes Defines whether EP database is re-created on the next initialization of Veeam EP Service.

Set this value to 1 and restart the service.