Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kingstar
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: DIEGO

Backup failed CASE ID 05090834

Post by kingstar »

hi,
I backup the entire system in a shared folder on a NAS, the accesses from the pc to the folder on the network work regularly, initially version 4 of agent free was installed and everything worked fine, a few days ago the pc started giving an error:

Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8007000e].
Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8007000e].

I upgraded to version 5 of agent free for microsoft window and now another different error appears:
Error: Unable to access the file. The file is used by another process Failed to create or open file [\\ CTE-NAS \ VEEAM \ WINBLU-BKP \ WINBLU-BKP2021-10-20T140457.vib]. Agent failed to process method {Stg.OpenReadWrite}

i tried to uninstall and reinstall version 5 of agent free but same problem

also creating a new job and on other shared folder in the NAS i get the same error

creating a job on external disk connected with USB works fine

same thing if I share a folder on the secondary disk of the PC (\\ winblu \ test \ veeam) everything goes well

could it be a problem on the NAS?
nothing has been changed on the NAS which is used as a backup archive, if I try to copy and paste a folder from the PC to the shared folder on the NAS everything is fine
I also checked the user credentials for accessing the NAS and everything is OK
I have been desperate for days that I have been on this problem

I humbly ask for help

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Backup failed CASE ID 05090834

Post by Gostev »

Hello! Yes this looks like some problem with your backup storage. Thanks!
kingstar
Novice

Post by kingstar »

but how can this be a NAS problem?
I have never changed anything on the NAS it has always been like this since the beginning (more than a year now).
I do not detect any hardware and software problems on the NAS, it is a Synology DS-218 + NAS and everything works inside it, the archives can be seen and can be operated in all ways.
Why does the error appear that the file is in use by another process if it is doing it at that instant?
any other ideas to solve the problem?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

It's a NAS problem because you don't have this issue with other backup storage.

Our support engineers might be able to tell you what exact process is locking the file. This usually requires a live support session.
kingstar
Novice

Post by kingstar »

Many thanks for your answer, being that I am using a free product is it still possible to do this type of live support session of your technicians to indicate what is wrong? What does it entail?
Thanks again for the help
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Well, they pick some support cases from the free products queue based on available resources.

However, since your particular case is an environment-specific issue outside Veeam which requires time-consuming live troubleshooting, it is not very likely they will pick it... when they can instead spend the same time answering 3-4 other free cases which can be resolved immediately by just looking at the logs.
kingstar
Novice

Post by kingstar »

what a bad luck, I'm a basket case ..... thank you again for the help,
could I somehow understand where the problem is? maybe through a LOG, Veeam Agent for Windows where does it put the logs?
Any suggestions to find out more and solve this problem?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You will the logs for „Veeam Agent for windows“ at this location for self analyzing the issue.

C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint

You can see this kb article to find all related logs for the veeam Agent.
https://www.veeam.com/kb2404
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
kingstar
Novice

Post by kingstar »

Hi, I'm back, sorry again for my inability, I looked in the logs but unfortunately I can't understand much of what is inside, I could kindly insert the logs somewhere in the forum and some of you in compassion could understand more?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

kingstar,

1. Can you confirm that you can access the backup location from the agent machine via the same account set for the agent?
2. Make sure that account set here has read/write permissions. I'd propose to create a brand new account with full admin access to the backup destination and use it during new backup job creation.
3. Review this thread, might help with Synology fine tuning.

Thanks!
kingstar
Novice

Post by kingstar »

Thanks Dima P., I answer point by point:
1. yes, I log in with the same user set on both WIN and NAS
2. yes, by entering the user and clicking on POPULATE I see the free space available in the selected shared folder
3. I have seen but it is not my CASE, here everything worked quietly and quickly then from one day to the next began to give the error message that I entered in the first post.

Where can I enter the LOGs to show them to someone?

Thanks for who will help me

Greetings
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint and look for the text file with the current job name. Is it possible that backup file in the question is locked by any other agent installation (say some one is performing a file level recovery from this backup)? Thanks!
kingstar
Novice

Post by kingstar »

thanks Dima P., no, there is no file agent block, I have already identified where the LOGs are but I can't understand much in there ... where I can share them to make sure that some kind-hearted soul can analyze and find where the problem?