Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
daystrom
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Backup failing, disk reported as full, but has very few files

Post by daystrom »

case 04009412

Using veeam agent 3.0.2.1170 for windows on a windows 10 pc, I have been using a 4 tb ext hdd as the target for several months. Several days ago veeam started reporting that disk space was low. I checked and what's puzzling is that while there are only 6 gb of veeam files on the drive and nothing else, windows sees the 4 tb as used up except for 40 gb. The disk should have at least two weeks of veeam backup files on it, and a decent amount of free space.

Has this kind of issue been seen before? On the Windows level, I can't recall ever seeing a disk appear almost full but only a few small files on it. Is this a sign of disk corruption or is this a bug with veeam?

Since I have apparently lost all of the veeam backups on the disk I will swap out the external hdd tomorrow, but I would of course like to get to the bottom of this.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup failing, disk reported as full, but has very few files

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
windows sees the 4 tb as used up except for 40 gb.
that's the thing that needs to be resolved. our error messages are based on what information the operating system (Windows) gives us.
or is this a bug with veeam?
very unlikely. I mean, obviously Windows has an issue to determine free space. You already opened a case, and this is good, because support is the only way to verify it. But as said - that looks like something different. Maybe Microsoft support can help more than Veeam support.

Best regards,
Hannes
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

Thanks Hannes. For some reason I never get notified when there is a reply here. It could be a general disk issue, for sure. But it seems more likly to me at least that veeam did something to the disk. All of the older backup files are gone, there are two new veeam files there, the disk has almost no files on it, yet windows thinks it's full. Veeam is the managing that disk, and I've never seen a disk end up like this, so I figured it had to do with Veeam. I was hoping that from my description someone could connect it to a known scenario that Veeam was at least involved in.
Veeam support automatically closed the ticket without any input, stating that they're too busy, so they are not going to help.
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

To complete this, I checked the disk using a couple of utilities and none found issues with it. I formatted it, and it still had errors in it's role as a backup device with veeam agent. I formatted it again and it's been good for the last 3 backups. I've never seen a disk with issues like this, it may be EOL even if the disk utilities don't report problems.
FaCeOff
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas

Post by FaCeOff »

Can you post a screenshot of CrystalDiskInfo of the main page? It would be interesting to see some data of the disk, e.g. Written Data, Total Hours....
Have you checked the disk previously on "hidden" files? Sometimes, especially if there are problems with the structure, data is stored in hidden folders

Cheers
Thomas
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

here is the screenshot
https://imgur.com/a/yI5Fgv5
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

daystrom,

Thanks for sharing the detailed. I've asked support team to reopen the case, since we need to look at the debug logs to understand the behavior. Cheers!