Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ad.vin
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Backup host and Hyper-V VMs

Post by ad.vin »

Hi!
Can I install Veeam Agent for Windows on Hyper-V host (server 2012 r2) which also has several running Virtual Machines on it? Will Veeam agent backup host itself and those VMs too? It it a supported scenario?
That's a standalone server with pretty limited resources so I think Veeam B&R is pretty "heavy" for it.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup host and Hyper-V VMs

Post by Mildur »

Hi advin

I don‘t recommend this approach.
You won‘t have consistent backups or veeam application awareness of the guest vms, if you are using a veeam agent to backup the vms at the hyperv host level.

If you do not want (or can) to use Veeam B&R, then please consider to install the agents directly in the Guest vm todo the backups.

Another thing, if you want to restore application items like AD user or SQL Databases, you need to use a Veeam B&R Server.

We are using Veeam B&R for customers with only 2-3 vms. This product should not be „heavy“. It‘s your companies life saving assurance :-) For a homelab I definitely understand the decision not to install a vbr server if not needed.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ad.vin
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Re: Backup host and Hyper-V VMs

Post by ad.vin »

Thanks for your answer!
Yes, we decided to use a full Veeam BR.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.