Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ninety8
Novice
Liked: never

Backup Job Disappeared/Backup settings are not configured

Post by ninety8 »

It seems my Veeam Agent for Windows job has disappeared as the Veeam Control Panel is now stating that "Backup settings are not configured". I'm unsure why this has occurred, as I haven't changed any settings in Veeam, but now I am unable to backup my data as creating a new job with identical configuration makes Veeam create a new full backup and incremental chain which I don't have disk space for.

I've tried restoring the VeeamBackup.mdf and VeeamBackup_log.ldf files under C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile and rebooting but no luck. I also tried recreating the database by following the steps outlined here: https://www.veeam.com/kb2335 and confirmed the files were recreated but the job settings are still missing.

Is it possible to restore the job from an existing backup (I backup the entire C:\ drive of the PC) or create a new job but have Veeam leverage the existing incremental backups?

My support case number is 05653652 and I understand Veeam Agent for Windows is a free product and that the technical support will reflect that, but it would be nice to not have to offload my existing backups and start from scratch, as this would mean purchasing additional hard disks to facilitate the existing backup data.

Thank you!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup Job Disappeared/Backup settings are not configured

Post by Mildur »

Hi Ninety8

Welcome to the forum.
create a new job but have Veeam leverage the existing incremental backups?
Have you tried to remap the new backup job to the existing backup files?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ninety8
Novice

Post by ninety8 »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the suggestion - I've just done this and it seemed to work but now the job won't run and errors out with "Error: startIndex cannot be larger than length of string. Parameter name: startIndex"... any ideas?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You‘re welcome.
Looks to me that probably something could be corrupted in the backup files/metadata.
I suggest to see if our support finds time and resources to have a look at your case. If not, probably a new chain is the easiest option to go forward.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ninety8
Novice

Post by ninety8 »

Hi Fabian,

Understood, thank you for your assistance. I hope the support team are able to take a look, but I will keep looking into it myself in the meantime and will report back if I find a solution without having to recreate the chain.

Thanks again.
ninety8
Novice

Post by ninety8 »

For anyone who stumbles across this in future: I couldn't find a solution, ended up copying the Veeam backup files from the original chain to an external disk and created a new chain from scratch.